LoraWan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
LoraWAN ( I believe that is how its known )

Anyone know more about this relatively fresh tech ?
Had a play/experiment.

Reactions: Damascus

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am aware of it but not used it; to be honest it only really started coming into mainstream view after I retired from technology development. We briefly looked at it but, because most of our applications required reasonably high quantities of data transfer, we did not pick it up. Its data transfer rates are too low for consistent live real-time data of a large number of parameters but it looks perfectly suited for small levels of compacted data and control messages.

I may well have another look now from a hobbyist point of view :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Interesting concept, low data transfer, second video was more informative in its application, as a ham radio licence holder there is other mediums to use, however as a non ham licence holder, like CB has some interesting uses.
I think the cost of these units as well would be a factor to think about.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Interesting concept, low data transfer, second video was more informative in its application, as a ham radio licence holder there is other mediums to use, however as a non ham licence holder, like CB has some interesting uses.
I think the cost of these units as well would be a factor to think about.

Indeed - cost is cheap , wouldn't take up much to set a decent Mesh up from what i understand.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
LoRa does seem intriguing
long range/low data speed seems very usefull for SAR type, or if you dont want satellite messenger devices.

ive always liekd the idea of device like gotenna that turn your phone in to a radio, using ssmartophone processing with just a bit of hardware

there are walkie talkies that run android after all as well, and ones like the rhino that share live location data by radio.

makes sense to add that to your own phone with a mesh
and meshs do make sense in grid down type communication
like serval mesh

ATAK looks intriguing
some of the features exist in Locus navigation app already, live location with groups and chat etc.....just a gratuitous plug for my favourite android app

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I think LoRa needs repeaters within line of sight of each other and your own LoRa, then you use bluetooth to it?
LoRa to LoRa can be a long way apart it seems.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I think LoRa needs repeaters within line of sight of each other and your own LoRa, then you use bluetooth to it?
LoRa to LoRa can be a long way apart it seems.
In a mesh network every device is a repeater, including your own.

Line of sight or somewhere around 10km I believe, whichever is shortest.

Reactions: grizzlyj

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Turns mobile phone into a talkie using LoraWan. Unfortunately seem to only US only, due to differing frequency band & power regulations for EU.

Some Americans in Ukraine using them.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, been watching.

People reporting able to communicate over 110km from the top of mountains.

Heltec V3 Capsule is close to off the shelf product, but they put a tiny battery inside.

Some better looking 3D printed cases out there too, like the H1.

Just a shame P&P almost doubles the price.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Have you guys had a look at the Ringway Manchester YT channel? He covers a lot of radio stuff - my particular twist is for cellular, having been a cellular geek - but he’s done some interesting videos around meshtastic LORA devices.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have you guys had a look at the Ringway Manchester YT channel? He covers a lot of radio stuff - my particular twist is for cellular, having been a cellular geek - but he’s done some interesting videos around meshtastic LORA devices.

I did have a quick look. Definitely very interesting projects

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE