Live Chat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Seeing as theres a new website, has anyone given any thought to a live chat room?

Now I'm not suggesting actual speech (as with the number of members here would make that a chaotic experience but instead maybe a live text chat mite be in order.

Just a thought.

Kev

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Sounds interesting - probably chaotic though! I understand a few people chat via some
MSN type messenger thingy. Not me though I've only ever used Pirch or mIRC for real-
time chats in my geekier past ;-)

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
MSN messenger is wicked:lmao: . I am on it right now :cool: . I reckon it would be kinda cool if we had an msn type chat thing set up. That way its instant and people could have proper chats. Then again it could become chaos with the number of people on the website. Good idea though. Mods got any ideas :thinkerg:

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Well I used to use a program called Filetopia a couple of years ago and I think it mite just fit the bill.

It was big on security, didn't cost anything and you can have permenent private rooms (password protected) for BCUK members.

It would have to be ok with the mods etc tho.

Kev

I just looked it up. Looks like it could fit right in here on BCUK. But with the upsides their could be a lot of downsides. I would really like to here the mods or Tony's thoughts on this. You certainly done your homework Kev :You_Rock_

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There was a chat room in the distant past guys. It was closed due to some inappropriate discussions I believe

Red

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I love the idea of online chat, I do it all the time, sadly I work nights, so most of you’s lot will be warm and toasty in your bags when I’m at work. My suggestion is a site called. Meebo
It is based on-line so no pesky programmes to install, it is free, always a big plus. But best of all it allows you to see all of your buddies from AOL Yahoo MSN googlemail all in the same screen, there are also things called rooms that allow more than one person to chat. I’ve been using it for months and months, and it’s stable, and intuitive. It is possible to get AOL accounts without signing up to AOL.
Have a look see
http://wwwm.meebo.com/
Check out their meebo widgets put them in your websites and blogs

Not part of meebo other than a satisfied customer

pag_3833

May 9, 2007
suffolk - uk
you have to download software to run it, and not all of us can or are willing to do it at our place of work

you dont have to download software if you dont want too, the mods and admins would probably have to run the application so they could have control of the rooms but these days you can setup java chatrooms for websites and it just connects to irc as a guest for each member and you change your name when you're in. Its quite good that way as I dont have IRC anymore but i still pop into some old chatrooms i used to use and say hello from time to time. i think that would work well.

(not easy to setup though, as ive set many of these up on various networks)

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
We did used to have a IRC room setup on Quakenet a few years ago.
It was good, but it was hard to moderate and got taken over a few times so we phased it out.

We did try again when we changed some of the server software (adding the games etc), but that got a bit out of hand too.

It may make a come back one day i guess though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE