Lifesaver Bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If it's taking out heavy metals, etc., then that seems good, but if you read the technical specifications, you will see that it is not claiming 100% removal of bacteria and viruses...

...so it seems quite good if you don't have the time or facilities to boil water (e.g. in a tactical situation, where the chance of 'poisoning' from a .762mm piece of lead is a significant risk). :D

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
On a slightly more serious note, I suspect that you will find that with something like this (as for many devices such as the Pre-Mac and other comparable systems) you will get a good standard of filtration and purification (though the demo that I saw of a Pre-Mac working on muddy water produced cloudy water - so may have been 'safe' but not very palatable) but if you want to be sure then you need to filter and boil (or at least I understand that getting the water to 74.5 degC is sufficient to kill harmful organisms). I think that the theory of boiling to kill organisms is that boiling point is a state that is relatively easy to judge by eye, whereas 74.5 degC is not, so getting the water to boiling point is 'on the safe side'.

HTH

Geoff

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Makes you wonder how mankind ever made it this far. I wonder how the Saxons purified their drinking water?
I guess the same way that most people did at the time, they boiled it and added a purifying agent, in this case malted grain, and hops and after letting it sit until it became infected with yeast. They, I think, had a technical name for it I believe it was called beer

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I guess the same way that most people did at the time, they boiled it and added a purifying agent, in this case malted grain, and hops and after letting it sit until it became infected with yeast. They, I think, had a technical name for it I believe it was called beer

I still believe this is the best method. Water, I don't touch the stuff ....... have you seen what fish do in it? :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I spent some time reading the blurb on this. If it does what it claims, its a highly innovative product. It has only recently been possible to actually filer viruses. Up to now the action carried out on viruses has been

UV
Heat
Chemical
Reverse Osmosis

Even filters that removed viruses in the past in fact did so via chemical means. This is actually providing sub micron filtration without power - very very clever (and the price reflects this)

If this works as it claims its way ahead of MSR Pre-Mac or Katadyn. Does it? No idea!

Red

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
If it does what it say`s, then fantastic product and i will be watching it, on the other hand
I do agree with beer monster , so why risk infected water when beer is clear and cold and very very yummy.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE