leons paying it forward

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks very much mate, scottish wolf looks like its yours then, pm me your address and i will try and get it in the post tommorow
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think its you that im sending the cartridges to lol, i accidentaly deleted your pm so please could you send me your address again
thanks leon

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
leon-b said:
chris how did you make these needles and what tools did you use ?
leon

sorry leon, didnt see your post( lots of work on :()
i made the needles from bone from the butcher. If you are in a hurry get a dog bone from the pet shop. I use a coping saw mostly but you could use a hacksaw. I used a pin vice to drill the holes and a file and sandpaper to finish them. Hope this helps.
I will look forward to seeing you first leather pouch.
Chris

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
chrisanson i think the next thing i will trade for will be some leather and maybe a few tips on how to make a simple pouch
i have two more matchcases made up all i need to do is put a striker on top which i will do tonight
if you want them please pm me your address so i can get them off tommorow otherwise they wont arrive before chrimbo
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
if you want them say quickly because i would like to get them in the post tommorow
leon

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
what sort of pouch would you like to make mate? - and what tools have you got?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would like to make a simple tinder pouch, at the moment i have a bone awl and some bone needles, thats it
leon

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
so a soft pouch like I sent you before?;)

drop me a pm with your details and i'll send you some leather out! :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks very much
yes exacltly like the pouch you sent me, how did you make it and what tools did you use ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon, look for a post by PatrickM he makes some antler needles using traditional methods. It is amzing and will inspire you no end. I made a needle out of bamboo, and although it works a treat, it tends to split every now and then leaving it a bit thinner each time. Eventually it will dissapear!

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
if you have a wilkinson's near you just get one of the dog bones( the ones that are wraped in polythene) there are some that have bee filled with somthing for the dogs but you need the ones that are hollow. then just pick any one and start cuting :) if you want to carve it, i find it easyer to carve before i cut. use a pencil to draw an out line.
chris

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
leon-b said:
thanks very much yes exacltly like the pouch you sent me, how did you make it and what tools did you use ?

leon

It dosn't require much...

a knife (or strong scissors) to cut the leather
a needle (not sharp)
thread (thick and strong - I used upholstry thread for mine)
a pen (to mark out)
a stitch marker (though you could use a ruler)
a bradle
and a board (scrap bit of 'contiboard' ) to punch the holes on

Hmmm - that seems a long list but it isn't really I guess......

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
you can get away with just using a ruler and a pen to mark the holes - just takes a little longer!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks
chrisanson, can i use the hollow dog bones with stuff in the middle ?
leon

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ok, this is my method (in words) howe to make a pouch like this

- If people want I may try to make a pictoral tutorial one day.......

1. 1. With 2 pieces of leather 'faces' together mark out a U shape just larger than the size you want your final pouch (remember that when closed the top is drawn in and thus you loose some of the final volume)

2. I temporally fix them together in the middle with double sided tape so they don’t move hen punching the holes

3. Mark the holes round the edge of the bag leaving the top of the U open

4. Punch the holes with a bradle onto a piece of scrap board

5. Thread your needle with just over 3 times the rough length of your stitch line around the pouch (don’t skimp – there is nothing worse than running out with 50mm to go!)

6. Starting about 40mm or so down one side to sew with a simple running stitch (in one hole out the next etc) down the pouch side round the bottom and up the other side – as you start leave ~100mm or so excess thread and be careful not to accidentally pull it through at the start – this is what you will use to finish it of with!

7. At the ‘top’ of the other end sew right round 3 times to make a really strong edge and then continue ‘back the way you came’ – your stitches should now be opposite to the first way so it looks like a continuous line of thread rather than thread gap thread gap…

8. Continue back to where you started and on past to go up to the end (with the 3 extra stitches again) and then back down to your starting point

9. Tie a knot with the two ends and then continue to sew the ends in to the stitching you have made then cut of close to your final knots

10. Turn ‘right side out’

11. Punch holes for the thong in the top

12. Thread a thong through the holes to fasten

13. Fill it with stuff and use it! :D
hope this makes sence! - Shout if ypu need clarification anywhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE