Legalities when treating a casualty

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
EMT is used because while the technicalities regarding the term are not always understood by the customer, people are generallya ware of the term and it is regarded as 'a higher level course' and then easy to search for. The US EMT-Basic course requires 180 hours of learning ( IIRC) plus work placements.

It actually depends in the US as well. Some states have slightly different set ups. Also they tend to have a better course set up, it is easier to build up to the 180 hours. For example, a fireman would have some of those hours by default.

It is almost impossible for a civilian in this country to become an Ambulance Tech, let alone a Paramedic. The only way to get the training is to do the job full time. Depending were you are in the US anyone could be a EMT, a lot of professionals will have a minor skill.

I surpose the big difference is that in a lot of places, you are not keeping someone alive for 8 minutes, but doing everything possible to make the golden hour longer. That would be the difference for me, if you can call an Ambulance and expect it arrive on target, that is normal first aid. Any time you are thinking I am not even going to see someone else for an hour, it would be wilderness first aid. While that would take work to do in the UK, in the states driving down the road could put you in that position.

I would really like to see someone on that website mentioning some of the you cannot use this in the UK etc. It seems very sell the course, and keep the facts out of it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One thing for those of you who are lucky enough never to have had to do CPR for real (I have many times over the years), its hard work, certainly gets the sweat glands going.

Don't let this thread get bogged down in technicalities, go off and learn the basics and don't fill your head with 'what if's'.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ain't been sued yet - even though 2 folk I worked on ended up in the morgue...and not as assistants there!

LOL

One thing for those of you who are lucky enough never to have had to do CPR for real (I have many times over the years), its hard work, certainly gets the sweat glands going.

One of the tests at the Red Cross, the requal normally, is to do it for over 12 minutes. Think you have to be able to do it for 30 minutes as a professional in the UK.

Don't let this thread get bogged down in technicalities, go off and learn the basics and don't fill your head with 'what if's'.

You can be sued in America - though I would expect that it would be unlikely

I was always told on the courses that provided that you do what you are taught, they will back you all the way. Most of them either insure you or offer insurance options.

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
I may be wrong (I accept it's happened before :D) but I'm pretty sure that there have been no successful cases brought against a first aider in the states either. And that's saying something.

You would be less than correct. As a former professional paramedic, our training included extensive case- study of successful and unsuccessful cases where EMS providers had been sued. Mostly of the sort of thing where patients who'd rec'd CPR and gotten broken ribs, or had been burned with de-fib paddles and similar. One of the most common causes of a lawsuit against EMS providers is attempting to resuscitate a patient who had a DNR order that is not visible and accessable to the EMS provider. The US is a strange place where the law and stupidity mix. >sigh<

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE