Legal UK Multitools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QuackPot

Feb 3, 2012
Scotland
Since I was looking at getting a knife, I was wondering if there are any other good makes of multitools other than leatherman. Some LM multitools are either too small and useless, don't have the features I need or are too expensive and aren't street legal.

I'd like something with a knife, sissors, philips scredriver and pilars but small, strong, cheap and legal to carry about in the UK.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
this thought has occurred to me too. I was considering going down the SOG route and just removing the blades from a large multitool e.g. Powerlock......

I frequently find I need to use a multitool, but My Charge Tti is not legal due to the locking blade. I want something quality, but Don't want to permanently mangle a pricey bit of kit. The smaller MT's are unsiutable really.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Since I was looking at getting a knife, I was wondering if there are any other good makes of multitools other than leatherman. Some LM multitools are either too small and useless, don't have the features I need or are too expensive and aren't street legal.

I'd like something with a knife, sissors, philips scredriver and pilars but small, strong, cheap and legal to carry about in the UK.

Most multi-tool blades lock for safety reasons. I would no longer regularly use one which didn't. I have an old SOG ToolClip which I used to use a lot. It has no locking blades, and I can't tell you how many times it bit me before I finally gave up with it.

The tool I currently use the most is a Leatherman Charge Ti. It almost fits your description. New they aren't cheap but you occasionally see good used examples. I bought mine on this forum and I'm so impressed with it that if I see another one I'll buy it unless you beat me to it. :)

Its main drawback as far as I'm concerned is that it has no awl. I've used a Victorinox SwissTool for many years (it has an excellent awl) and I'm still very partial to it, but the S30V blade on the Charge beats everything else I've tried hands down.

Unless I'm flying on a scheduled service I carry a multi-tool all day every day in the UK. I can't work effectively without tools and the law allows for that.

Some of the cheap makes of multi-tool are really nasty and you'll wish you'd saved up for a better one not long after you bought it.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I spent a lot of time looking for such a tool a year or so back and the only choice was a leatherman juice. I bought the flame orange one but beware as the finish and some of the tools are pretty shocking expecialy given the price. But.. if you dont want to give a bad attitude copper an excuse then its the only one i could find.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
go and find a policeman and talk to them about it.

mostly multitools are seen as tools and aren't a problem, if you're not dressed like a chav and or behaving like a chav there'll be no problem. i carry a LM supertool edc.

cheers, and.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
this thought has occurred to me too. I was considering going down the SOG route and just removing the blades from a large multitool e.g. Powerlock......

I frequently find I need to use a multitool, but My Charge Tti is not legal due to the locking blade. I want something quality, but Don't want to permanently mangle a pricey bit of kit. The smaller MT's are unsiutable really.

Sog paratool is your boy ;) it is possible to file the edge of the powerlock awsy so it doesn't lock the knife blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE