'Legal' Bushcraft Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
technically you just did, any blade which locks without good reason is an offence under the act.

When I'm in public woodland for the day I will take a SAK or modified opinel no6. I know the opinel technically is a lock knife but they are very 'people-friendly' knives and perfect for a stroll through the woods.
I never have any worries about the knife laws because I don't break the knife laws.

There's my good reason for having it - a stroll through the woods.

Picture it: I have just stumbled out of the woods and am walking the 200 yards back to my car. A copper sees me - red faced and splattered to the knees in mud. I have a OG pack with a '58 water bottle in each mesh pocket. Inside the pack is the remains of my lunch, a few half finished spoons, a couple of pringles tins with recently gathered cramp balls and tinder inside them and a few odds and sods like paracord, matches and a small folding opinel.
It's obvious where I've been and it's obvious that the knife I have on me has been used. If it's been used then I must've had a good reason for having it on me.

For a mooch around in the woods I wouldn't take a fixed blade as it isn't warranted but I don't think any copper would question that I didn't have a legitimate reason for carrying a small opinel on me.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
A lock knife is just that. You may not get nicked but it would get confiscated.

That's nonsense. Unless you know something I don't. The law is the law. If you've a reason to have a lock knife, you've a reason to have a lock knife. If you haven't, you haven't.

Barn Owl's post above is very sensible and is in agreement with many similar statements I've heard.

Make sure you get a receipt if you ever find someone wants to confiscate something.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Im getting confused now.

Are we now saying that a lock knife can be acceptable if carried with a good reason (ie. On the way to/from a walk in the woods?)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Yes. Good reason, is the important bit. However, if you think your good reason might not be a copper's or a judge's idea of a good reason, probably best to stick to a S139 legal blade.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Thanks,

Was wondering how it was possible to strike a firesteel with the back edge of a non-locking folder (unless you use the knife closed of course).

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The spine of a closed SAK saw works very well with a firesteel, as does the spine on an Opinel. Or use the broken hacksaw blade they come with.......or does that count as a fixed blade?:rolleyes:

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Hang on!

We're worried about locking knives and yet we've not mentioned axe's or machette's.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Well if you've a reason to have an axe or machete with you, it implies that you would have a reason to have a fixed or locking knife too.

Stainz

Jan 18, 2008
Pinson, AL, USA
From across the pond - near Birmingham, Alabama - where our sheriff won his post by promising to reduce the concealed carry pistol license from $20 to $7.50...

Our knife laws here are changing. While at a shooting range a few weeks back, I was told by an off-duty deputy that my transporting a 3.1 inch fixed blade sheathed knife - and several other longer 'bushcraft' knives - in my range bag was 'illegal'! I had brought my latest goodies to 'show' to a friend there. Of course, the revolvers and ammo carried in the bag was fine - as was the loaded .38 in my pocket! The times have changed here, too. Handguns yes, with a CC license, larger pocket knives or fixed blades - no - unless you are actually in the process of 'hunting'!

Stainz

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My EDC is a Doug Ritter RSK MK1, which both locks and has a blade length exceeding three inches, so in the UK I'd be running the risk of having my collar felt. I also own the smaller 'mini' version, smaller blade, but which still has a locking blade.

http://www.equipped.org/rsk_mk1.htm

However with a little work with the supplied 'Torx' key, the 'locking mechanism' can be removed and the axis bolt tightened, making the 'mini' a 'legal' EDC for the UK.

Now if I then carried the now 'legal' folder and kept the locking mechanism and torx key in a separate pocket for reassembly when needed would I still risk running afoul of the law?

If not, then I would suggest that UK knifemakers should put their thinking caps on and come up with the perfect folding bushcrafter which can be converted into a 'locking' tool with a little work.

Just a thought :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Doug Ritter RSK MK1 - Good knife :D

If you've removed the lock from the knife then it's not a locking knife and you will not get done for it according to the law, however because of interpretation many will want to do you because you're carrying it full stop. I don't think that the Doug Ritter RSK looks as dangerous as the UKPK and I think that goes a long way, most people won't worry about seeing a SAK for instance and it's the image that has a lot of impact.

You're not breaking the law if it's non locking and under 3" doesn't matter how you get there.

Good suggestion on the removable lock...:D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I don't think that the Doug Ritter RSK looks as dangerous as the UKPK and I think that goes a long way, most people won't worry about seeing a SAK for instance and it's the image that has a lot of impact.

Indeed, I find it ridiculous that a UKPK is legal to carry, whereas a leatherman would be illegal.

:rolleyes:

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Well I didnt know about the rule until I was asked if I was carrying knives at a ferry port entering UK!!

I had on board

My nighthawk!
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2921

My Lock knife
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3124

and my swiss army!!

Man did my bottom clench when I had to answer that question!!

anyhow safley returned complete with knives I was successful in not stabbing anybody!! but must remember rules are differnt regarding knives in UK!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE