led astray at Brownlee, pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I've always been a ground dweller, liked tents and never really considered a hammock as proper camping equipment. Tents are the best thing for camping in, at least that was until today,
Today the evil wench of a woman that is Toddy led me astray. We went for a walk in the Brownlee woods with my son Iain and Marley (the dog). Mary had gotten a Magickelly hammock a hennesay hex fly and wanted to try them out. She forced me into trying it out.:eek: I tried to fend her off but she's stronger than she looks. I hated every moment of it.:yikes:

We got some photo's while we were out

Priorities, mary got a brew going on one of Russ's hobo stoves
Toddy.jpg

While mary was doing that Iain and I set up the Hammock
I had to lie like that because of the amount of damage mary did to me Forcing me in:rolleyes:
likingit.jpg

Iain was next to try it out as laid back as ever.
howdypardner.jpg

My favourite picture of the day
threeseconds.jpg

So once Mary had used us as Guinee pigs she had a go.
toddyhammock.jpg

and one with the Tarp up, That's Iain still in the Hammock, he nearly fell asleep in there
iaininthehammock.jpg

and Marley investigated the furniture
ambitious.jpg

The structures in the pictures were nothing to do with us,they seem to have been in place for a while now. The were lashed together with Sisal string and it has started rotting

We had a great day.....

My Hammock is due on Wednesday:D :D :D .

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
It was a good day, well morning, out. I ordered a DD travel Hammock on Sunday evening, it was despatched at 09:40 yesterday, and it arrived this morning.Happy Birthday to me:D

So guess what I'll be doing this weekend?:D :D Maybe try to be out for a little longer this time. As long as the weathers ok?

I wanted to say a big thanks to Mary for taking us along and showing us the site, and letting us try out the hammock:You_Rock_

drew1166

Jun 1, 2007
Wishaw, Scotland
Oooooooo Robby ya lucky sod you.

There was me sittin in a freezin hall in Port Glasgow watchin ma wee one dancin and whit were you doin??????? HAVIN FUN YA JAMMY GIT :) . And without me !!!! Yer big bro.!!!

Hopefully we will get out this weekend to try out your new hammock ( jammy toad!!).

And HOPEFULLY i will have your birthday prezzy finished and bring it with me, so you better get that Kukri all nice and sharp for the weekend.

Hope you had a wonderfull day. Bruv :)

Andy :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Mary that looks like a crackin site, with very little effort those structures could be sorted out into a good little permanent camp, or does it belong to someone. I could see those walls resecured and some wattle put onto it and with a good tarp over it would make a grand sleeping area with maybe a fire pit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We had a Meet up there a couple of years ago, Mike Brady organised it, he's one of the local Rangers and the idea was for us to stabilise the outflow from the pond, cut down the Ash that were suffocating some young Oaks and generally remove any rhodies that were around.
It was a very good camp until JohnC's van was broken into at the car park way up the hill :(

Typha had said that someone had been building there and was a bit vexed thinking it was our doing, but not that stuff it wasn't.

I'm going to speak to Mike and see what he thinks about it, he takes school kids out on Forest School programmes and this might be something he'd find useful.

If you want directions or company on a visit, there are enough of us up this neck of the river who'll happily come along :D

cheers,
M

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
and my DD Tarp arrived today. :eek: (Mum gave me some money as a birthday present)
Oh and I got a thermarest as well.
That along with the knife my son gave me means this has definitely been a Bushcraft birthday :D :D.

Guess what I'll be doing on Sunday.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Happy Birthday :D
Are you and Ian/ Andy staying out ? Do you want to borrow mine for them to use too ?:
I'm cutting willow with Fiona this weekend and will be too 'xhausted to want to camp out; my back and shoulders were killing me last time :sigh:

atb,
M

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Unfortunately we've all got stuff to do on different days this weekend so it won't be an overnighter. Just an afternoon stroll with a chance to try the Hammock and Tarp set up. Andy's thinking of buying one himself so it'll give him a chance to try it out. I know Iain's sold on one so it'll just be a matter of time till he gets his.

I do feel as though I should be typing Harp and Tammock as that's what I keep saying:eek: :eek:

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I used to like hammocks when I was younger but I'm 6'-3" and weigh a bit over 260 pounds now...I haven't been able to find one rated for my weight. Great looking pictures though, looks like you all had fun

I have no connection to either company but the Nomad's Land hammock that is in the pictures held me perfectly well and I'm around the same weight and the DD Travel Hammock is rated up to 25 stone or 350 pounds. thats why I went for it. I'm about 260 myself (every ounce is muscle you understand;) ;) ) though shorter at just over 6'. I'll post some pics and let you know how we get on. My son Iain is about your height maybe slightly shorter. if the Hammock copes with my weight and his height I'll let you know. The DD site says it rated up to 25 stone and for upto 6' 5" if I remember correctly. I'll let you know how it stands up.

Service wise, DD Hammocks have been superb. I ordered the Hammock on Sunday afternoon, it was despatched on Monday at 09:40 and arrived on Tuesday morning (My Birthday). The Hammock I ordered about 13:00 on Thursday and it arrived on friday morning.

Addo: I had a look at a coccoon type under blanket that one of the other guys was trying out at the Comriecroft meet but felt it would be a little claustrophobic for me. I tend to like to feel cool/cold air on my face at least. I do sleep really warm (and being married I'm used to not having much of the quilt :D ) I do think I'll be looking into under-blankets though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE