Leather water bottle/carrier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a leather water bottle or even somewhere where I can get instructions to make one? Preferably it shouldn't have any modern components like a plastic liner.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Not bob i have a leather bottle which is beeswax lined - I might be tempted to part with it. What do you want to use it for?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Not Bob said:
Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a leather water bottle or even somewhere where I can get instructions to make one? Preferably it shouldn't have any modern components like a plastic liner.

Dog's skin has no pores, so should be waterproof, just so long as your stitching doesn't leak.

I think printers used to use dog's skin pags for inking the type. Or maybe engravers, for inking plates.

Maybe this link would be useful:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/lea-bottles-msg.html

Keith.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Try Roger Harrington, Bison Bushcraft, he may well be able to make you one, though I doubt it would be cheap. I have one of his possibles pouches which I really like and is very well made. I think he did make water bottles at one time as well.

ranger

http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Not Bob said:
Does anyone have any idea where I can buy a leather water bottle or even somewhere where I can get instructions to make one? QUOTE]

Yes - try this gentleman's website:

http://www.geocities.com/thorvin.geo/phil_qualington.htm

I have not bought his bottles but I have two of his excellent leather mugs which are sealed on the inside with proper pitch. They need only be rinsed out with cold water.

He does mail order but also goes to a lot of craft fairs which is where I found him.

Best wishes,

Bruce

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Working on it.

I have some brewer's pitch that was one of the things traditionally used to seal jacks & bottles. The downside is that the pitch is soluble in alcohol, so no using it as a hip flask...

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
ESpy said:
Working on it.

I have some brewer's pitch that was one of the things traditionally used to seal jacks & bottles. The downside is that the pitch is soluble in alcohol, so no using it as a hip flask...

I've drunk beer and mead from a pint jack. Feels strange at first, but you get used to it quickly enough.

After the third or fourth pint, you don't even notice you're drinking from a jack.

I think that with the amount of alcohol in beer, and with the length of time it spends in a jack, you don't need to worry about the solubility of the pitch.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE