Leather Moleskine Cover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I've started to carry a notebook for reminders, notes, lists, etc.

I looked for a cover for my Moleskine but struggled and the few I found were hugely expensive. Man of Tanith however suggested I make my own, was kind enough to send me a piece of leather, and got me to join BCUK. Good man.

Finally made it this morning as I had time, and though I would share :)

Said leather marked out and cut to shape. No plan or measures, just put the book on the leather and worked it out as best guess and cut away.
525e4ecb50133d2aa1391fa696704b74_zpsfc35e0b2.jpg

I have a cheap eBay stamp so put this on (wrong place in the end but you live and learn). It does not stamp very well, so crushing it into the leather gets the result.
70bc703e1f4c1f90857bfacb978a4ab7_zpsed8baff8.jpg

The ends of the leather folded over to make the slot for the cover. Then glued and marked with an awl. Waxed tread and saddle stitch (only stitch I know?).
I had seen on a commercial one it having a slit in the back cover so the elastic still hold the book together, so I nicked the idea, and remembered to put this in prior to sewing it together.
22830cf374329e46388e4dc27d53bc9c_zps4ed0ea8c.jpg

The finished cover. Oiled and waxed. I kept the colour as I liked it and I have no dyes. Was tempered to try the home made dyes listed on here, but kept in natural. Not perfect, but I quite like it.
Spot the error on where I put the paw print :eek:
deaa660d5b6f8e5b0b9df5b5494a0346_zpsd4b26b8a.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I've been beaten to it. I'm part way through making something similar. Sadly it's nowhere near as good and I'm using up scraps of leather.

Nice work mate, I'm humbled.

Loved the stolen idea for keeping the elastic strap, and by folding the ends over is cuts down on a lot of sewing and keeps the cover narrower for in the pocket.
Again thanks to Tanith for the nudge and importantly the leather :)

Cheers everyone else for the great comments.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I love Moleskines and that is a very classy cover.
I may have to have a go too.
Fine Job and thanks for sharing.
Cheers , Simon

N

Nomad

The slot for the elastic - is there a thin cut running between the two wider slots at the top and bottom?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The slot for the elastic - is there a thin cut running between the two wider slots at the top and bottom?

You got it spot on. Two holes punched and joined to form the top and bottom slot, then just slit between the two. Reach through and pull the elastic through. Just remembered to put it in before I stitched it together.

N

Nomad

Thanks Albus. When I first looked, I thought the impossible had been acheived. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE