Leaf ID Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I think It is a sweet chestnut (from pictures in books) but it doesnt have the swirley bark. This could be because it is young. Are the leaves realy this big??

Kenworthy014small.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think It is a sweet chestnut (from pictures in books) but it doesnt have the swirley bark. This could be because it is young. Are the leaves realy this big??

Kenworthy014small.jpg

Yes, that's Sweet Chestnut ok. The bark doesn't start to spiral until the tree is really quite mature, I'm not sure exactly how old but most of the swirly tree's we have, are at least 2.5 to 3 feet + in diameter.

The leaves are indeed, quite large.

Cheers;)
R.B.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Cheers R.B Maybe you could confirn this as Aspen.

Kenworthy043small.jpg

The problem im having here is that the bark is not as decribed (smooth) in books. Its actualy realy fisured, Below:

Kenworthy044small.jpg

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hmmm, I don't believe that's Aspen Stu going off both bark and foliage. Aspen leaves remind me of a trophy shape and the bark has diamond pores.

That looks along the lines of one of the Oaks.

Reaches for a book

Best I can get with a reference is Swedish Whitebeam?

EDIT: Just to add that a Swedish Whitebeam isn't one of the oak family but my post seemed to indicate it was re-reading it.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
leaf and bark look like alder to me Alnus glutinosa but I want to look up and see if there are any cones, is it growing in a wet place? its difficult to be categoric without the whole picture.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
found this in my collection from today. I think its the same kind of leaf.

Kenworthy028small.jpg

Not realy growing in a wet place. It is part of some new woods that are around 10 years old. The woods are called Kenworthy woods and are situated around the start of the M56 motorway and near the river Mersey in Manchester.

I took loads of pictures because I realy want to be able to identify types of trees, so there will be more to come tomorow folks.
Stu

rancid badger

7 is definitely alder, as I believe is 3.
Hey. I'm no expert, I tend to know and be able to recognise, the tree's that I can use:D
I have done a fair bit of tree recognition with various FC experts and indeed, assisted on a few tree recognition events.
We spent hours trying to id a group of tree's on our grass snake site, which turned out to be alder! There were several people present,highly qualified in the subject but none wanted to stick their necks out:slap:
I must admit to having a giggle or two when the last full time ranger we had arrived, having been proclaimed "quite knowledgeable" by the new Rec manager, they were almost clueless for a few week's but soon had a firm grip of the subject.

Anyway, I'm as interested in confirming No.3 as the next bloke , so let's see what develops-
Matt could well be right with Swedish Whitbeam;)
cheers
R.B.:)

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
If it helps, these 3 photos are of the same tree. I still think that post 3 is the same as post 7 (and this post), but maybe 3 is an old specimine.

Kenworthy026small.jpg

Kenworthy027small.jpg

Kenworthy028small.jpg

Cheers for taking the time guys. Its a shame im stuck on this one as there are many more to come yet!!

rancid badger

If it helps, these 3 photos are of the same tree. I still think that post 3 is the same as post 7 (and this post), but maybe 3 is an old specimine.

Kenworthy026small.jpg

Kenworthy027small.jpg

Kenworthy028small.jpg

Cheers for taking the time guys. Its a shame im stuck on this one as there are many more to come yet!!

Photo 3 of No. 3 clinches it! thats Alder for sure;)
The "cones" confirm the id. Right then, lets have another one:D
Just thinking:bluThinki if you strip off a twig or some bark from alder, you should find that the wound turns an intense orange colour.
Cheers
R.B.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
OK struggling on this one any more pics of it? and you are quite sure bark and leaf are same tree? again I want to look up and see if there are any flowers/catkins/seeds..they are far more distinctive and less variable than leaves and bark, always look for them first.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
3 and 7 Alder for sure
14 Wych Elm
If the trees are young and planted as you say dont worry about location for ID, cause all sorts of natives get planted. Alder can fix nitrogen into the soil through its roots, to help poor soils to support plants.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think you're spot on mate, it's not beech :)

First thought is wych elm

I can see folk thinking the leaves look a bit elmy but they are definitely not. All elm leaves are lob sided at the base ie one side of the leaf starts further down the stem than the other, and all elms alternate leaves down the stem. Hornbeam could be a possibility thought he leaves are normally more glossy and less rounded, need to see the reproductives if we can.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
I can see folk thinking the leaves look a bit elmy but they are definitely not. All elm leaves are lob sided at the base ie one side of the leaf starts further down the stem than the other, and all elms alternate leaves down the stem. Hornbeam could be a possibility thought he leaves are normally more glossy and less rounded, need to see the reproductives if we can.

Fair point re. elm, I thought about hornbeam but thought the teeth look a bit large,almost heading towards lobes on some leaves, how about grey alder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE