latest knife project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2012
uk
just a crappy pic of my latest knife project this is my second knife about 5mm thick old leaf spring very loosely based on the woodlore that i scaled to suit me! think i may leave the grey colour on blade as i quite like it. i am hoping to put a 22 degrees scandi on it

any tips for improvement greatly appreciated what do you think i should use for handle got some yew but a fellow knife maker told me yew is well too soft but i dont think he is correct also got some oak but dont much fancy using air dried oak on this one got a bit of maple or what ever it is i want this knife to be the very best it can be and am prepared to spend many many hours making this if it turns out nice.

will update this thread with pics as it further develops.

DSCF3499.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2012
uk
Yew makes fantastic knife handles.

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

But so does air dried oak (centre)

May2008033.jpg

some lovely knives there did you make them your self and i think i shall go with the yew! also what do you think of my blade

and what is the micro grind on the far right knife and what wood are the scales on the far right knife???

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yew is officially a "softwood" yet is one of the hardest woods about once seasoned. Lovely grain and colour to it. Very very good handle material. Who ever told you its too soft either doesn't know what he's on about, or he's telling fibs. I'd expect the former.

The blade looks alright mate, cant offer on improvements as i don't forge blades, at least not quite yet :)

One thing to point out, you cant ask folk to PM you if they "want one". Your not a paid up member let alone a maker. No offence intended there :) Its forum rules, that all must follow. :)

Mar 14, 2012
uk
fair enough have settled on yew and sorry for the selling offer have taken it down now
also i have not forged this blade just stock removal my mate just gave me the leaf spring that had been lying on his forest floor for years and thats why it has all the dimples in it just stuck it in the forge to heat it up and hit it flat.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I don't make the blades, all mine are now VG10 or RWL34 and Duncan (FGYT) makes them for me to my design, then I do all the bits that come after that.

I don't know about your blade yet, I'm not able to visualise much and having never done it can't imagine what it would be like. I will keep watching.

Hillbill, I was lucky with that bit of wood, it's like hens teeth nowadays.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've got loads thats been seasoned for 3 years, tons of pippy burr potential. Its all logs atm, but the amount and density of little branches coming out of some of them gives me a lot of optimism for getting some really nice pieces :)

Hillbill, I was lucky with that bit of wood, it's like hens teeth nowadays.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
I've got loads thats been seasoned for 3 years, tons of pippy burr potential. Its all logs atm, but the amount and density of little branches coming out of some of them gives me a lot of optimism for getting some really nice pieces :)
if only i could find some stuff so great like yours and dougsters! oh well hope fully my yew shall be nice! i guess you can just go :nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE