Land..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
How expensive is land by you?
I am talking about pasture land per acre.
Been thinking about buying some and what to do with it (horses on it etc) and was thinking about costs involved etc.
With the current economic climate savings are rubbish I cant afford to buy another house so was thinking there might be gold in them there hills!
Well not really but maybe worth a punt as I think land as houses will/ is coming down in price.
Dave
What about allotments can you put some allotments on you own land and hire them?
Whats the planning regarding camping/ caravan?
Lots of qustions I know:rolleyes:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Can only speak in a general way, but the price may vary depending on the land's potential. An acre or so in a favourable position, ie: by the sea, potential caravan site etc: will cost a great deal more than somewhere out in the boondocks. The possibility of planning permission for almost anything will also boost the price. Down this way, woodland varies too, a couple of acres with road access in a "good area" is twice the price of a similar size piece of woodland adjoining a large town (no names -no packdrill...:D ) I've been looking at some!!! I know nothing about permission for commercial camping but a local site, when I asked them about 12 month camping , told me "Council restrictions only allow us to open April-September" so obviously different areas,different rules.

Just looked at a price locally..2.5 acres, access by unmade track, riverside position-definitely no planning permission of any sort possible.-Offers asked in region of (are you sitting down??) £28,000.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
5 - 10,000 per acre for basic flat pastureland round here. More for woodland or natural water access

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for that found seen some land for a silly price so may be a typo!
When I got the details it said offers?!?! When in a paper it said a price....was about £1000 per acre so its got to be wrong! Had a look and its a nice plot with horses on it nice views too!
Oh well gonna have a look on the website now.....whats the sp on 'temporary structures?'
Dave

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Temporary structures? Not sure Dave, except I understand "an animal" shelter is usually easier to obtain permission for than say a barn or other substantial building. If you don't mind me suggesting? If you're going to put animals on it check your fencing responsibilities when considering the price, because it can work out a fair bit to safely fence land where animals could get onto public roads. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not necessarily a typo.

If it has no water, is not attached to a dwelling, is on a slope, has no trees, is perhaps a bit boggy, then 1,000 is a fair price on the Welsh borders.

Red

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The "average" price per acre around me here in NE Iowa is $2900 per acre! Good "farm" land tends to be closer to $5000 per acre. We have a lot of hills/timber/pasture around my area, so the average price is lower that other areas.

And small acreages always sell for several times that!

Every area has various rules/regulations on them. Any small acreage around here needs to be at least 5 acres to be sub-divided off. Plus, if you intend to "live" on it, you need to drill a well and put in an approved septic system. (occupy the land for more than xx days per year) Then there are all the housing/building permits. And having animals on the land has all their own rules/regulations.

Land prices go up and down all the time. It's the one commodity out there that has a very limited quantity, and there just ain't going to be any more of it.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I've been looking just casually over here Mike, and it seems generally the cheaper areas of land are often recently cleared woodland. I think the big timber companies buy it up, fell the standing timber and then sell the land. Prime farming land is very expensive as is land with future potential for building/commercial developement. There are government grants and tax concessions available for owners of 'renewable' woodlands. I found out quite by accident that a few show business "celebrities" own a lot of woodland in various places in the UK, no doubt it will pay the bills when they slide down the ladder of fame...:D :D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Its now saying offers rather than a price....its got water Red access to electric,sound fencing and runs along a bridle path and has road frontage.
Its just under 9 acres so there is either a catch or its priced wrong, I think.
Just emailed them anyway.
dave

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
not pasture i know, but ive not long seen 14 acres of south facing mixed woodland with a small fishing lake and all hunting rights go for just shy of £14,000.

really wish i had that kind of money, woodland seems to be cheapest in north wales and there are initiatives in place to help woodland owners make small profits. either from seeling mature trees (limited amounts) or doing an activity based thing, i.e paintballing, airsoft or bushcraft ventures. temporary structures are allowed so a small round house would be feasable and tree stands are perfectly ok.

any land with agricultural possibilities will go for silly money. Anyway, who would choose a boring field over beautiful woodlands???

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
not pasture i know, but ive not long seen 14 acres of south facing mixed woodland with a small fishing lake and all hunting rights go for just shy of £14,000.

really wish i had that kind of money, woodland seems to be cheapest in north wales and there are initiatives in place to help woodland owners make small profits. either from seeling mature trees (limited amounts) or doing an activity based thing, i.e paintballing, airsoft or bushcraft ventures. temporary structures are allowed so a small round house would be feasable and tree stands are perfectly ok.

any land with agricultural possibilities will go for silly money. Anyway, who would choose a boring field over beautiful woodlands???

Fully agree but I haven't seen any woods that cheap near here mate!
My reasoning was that I am not sure how I could make 'an easy ' income from woods and horses seemed an easy option.
Give me a wood any day but this was a kind of thinking out aloud money making exercise really and the price was right.
Maybe I need to look in Wales?!?!
£14k I'd sell my Granny if she was still alive for that.
Dave

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
Fully agree but I haven't seen any woods that cheap near here mate!
My reasoning was that I am not sure how I could make 'an easy ' income from woods and horses seemed an easy option.
Give me a wood any day but this was a kind of thinking out aloud money making exercise really and the price was right.
Maybe I need to look in Wales?!?!
£14k I'd sell my Granny if she was still alive for that.
Dave

^^^^^^ lol, my nans still alive..... any offers?

agree about the making profit thing, definitely going to be easier with pasture.

just found some excellent woods to tempt you with.....

"A small mixed woodland in a stunning location on the slopes of Cadair Idris above the beautiful lake Tal y Llyn. The trees are mixed, mainly Oak and Douglas Fir, and have the benefit of a good hard road that leads from the council highway"

£27,900

"A small multi-purpose woodland heavily stocked with valuable mature softwood timber, a very private gate, track and large parking area (perfect for family camping) near Denbigh, north wales"

£29,000

and my personal favourite (though its only 3 acres)

"Platters Wood, on the Menai Straits, Bangor, North Wales, A rare opportunity to acquire a beautiful mature broadleaved woodland right on the banks of the North Wales coast"

£52,000

and thats just a couple of the many available.

Good News everyone! i'm selling all my worldly goods (and my grandma) and buying some woods!

definitely seems that wales is the place to go anyway.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
^^^^^^ lol, my nans still alive..... any offers?
Has she got her own teeth?
If so may be interested!
Unfortunately those prices are out of my range.......darn where are your kidneys located???
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE