Dovecot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I was out shooting woodies the other day and noticed around the area allot of old ruins, I looked them up on the map and found out they were all marked Dovecot. Which in around about way is funny that we were there getting rid of pigeons for the farmer, however in the past it looks like the pigeons were farmed!!

This got me thinking about when I was traveling in Eygpt, when we passed allot of houses there were domes on the top, it turns out these were dovecots, the locals used them to collect pigeon meat and eggs.

Now this got me wondering, and I bet you can guess whats coming, would this be a legal to build and use a Dovecot to collect eggs and Pigeons for food?

P.S. For the TEOTWAWKI folks, it turns out the local Egyptians put all their savings money into gold jewellery which their wifes would wear to keep safe. My wife suggested we did the same :-D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doocots were commonplace at one time.
Pigeons, if there's enough food, can and will, breed all year round.
That means that there's always a supply of eggs, squabs and meat from adults.

I don't see why it should be illegal now :dunno: I don't know either way I'm afraid.
You could ask on one of the pigeon fancier sites :evilgrin: :D

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well there's nae shortage of the big woodpigeons round here. I reckon if I encouraged them by feeding them for a week or two I could get them to nest in a doocot. Does that make them 'mine' though?

The smaller, feral, pigeons are virtually tame as it is, they don't even fly off when the cat wanders bye :rolleyes: They just keep a wary eye on her and carry on guzzling the food the smaller birds scatter out of the feeders.

cheers,
Toddy

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Shewie, supposing they were wild birds, would it be illegal do you think?

I'm thinking on raising quails next year for eggs, I was thinking about ducks but you need water and because my pond area is being used for other projects :-D it wont happen!!

Not that I'm thinking of raising pigeons, but i was wondering if it would be a worthwhile project for someone with a small holding!!

There is allot of woodies about here as well Toddy, allthough I help a farmer out with keeping his ground clear of pigeons, I actually do like them, they have cracking colours on them, really beautiful bird up close, ferals on the other hand, yuck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE