Lacking outdoor skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
Personally I was not calling anyone a middle class moron... just quoting the terminology of Bootfox. Having gently asked for such terminology not to be used he goes and does it again in his very next post. Seems I was too gentle or he wasn't listening because he's too angry.
I'm happy to debate but not if this sort of language continues.
Name calling is a sign of someone who has already lost the debate.
Sorry folks but I'm leaving this thread as I just don't want to put up with this sort of thing and yes I would say the same if I were not sympathetic to the cause. Anyone who calls people of all walks of life including children and women names is not someone I'd like to have a conversation with. I'm the same with racial and theological topics. Debate kindly or shut up!
By the way Janne what I said about a foreigner telling me what to eat was a momentary thought.. but stopping to think about it, I actually agree with a good deal of what you said, .. and said so.

I’m not angry in the slightest. frustrated maybe. And regardless, I have proven they are hypocritical and that the term moron is appropriate as per the definition. Because that’s the polite term to call them especially as they were blocking emergency services from doing their job.

Children aren’t morons but they are a product of their parenting. So one poor girl was clutching her cuddly toys at the protest... cuddly toys that were made of synthetics and manufactured in a petrochemicals process....

And Gretas parents supporting a known violent group, which by all rights is labelled a domestic terrorist organisation, Antifa.

The environmental issue is a money maker, and it’s filled with hypocrisy.

Reactions: Janne

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Buckwheat pasta! :vomit:
Possibly. True buckwheat is indeed gluten free. Unfortunately many products sold as “buckwheat xxxxx” aren’t really made of tru buckwheat. :( . Labels can be misleading.

Fortunately rice pasta is fairly common now, reasonably priced, and decent tasting.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Much of the Environment movement and Peace ( plus anti nuclear, anti nuclear arms etc) movements were funded, and guided from the former Eastern Block.

It makes me being a cynic, and I wonder, who is trying to disrupt us today? Because somebody is behind these movements, trust me on that!

Could be a country, could be a group of people.
Eventually the truth will come out.

You can be a great supporter of the environment and the work to safeguard our future, but also be opposing the Extinction Rebellion.
And the environment issue, it is apolitical..
Everybody faces the same problems, and the solution is virtually the same.

IMHO!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bootfox

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Possibly. True buckwheat is need gluten free. Unfortunately many products sold as “buckwheat xxxxx” aren’t really made of tru buckwheat. :( . Labels can be misleading.

Read the content. Some truth there.
I think PaulB was thinking of the taste.
Buckwheat has a specific flavor, if you are from a 'tasteless, fluffy white wheat bread' culture, you might not find these traditional seeds nice.
I am from a Rye culture, and have a problem with said bread....

The pasta I will never buy again, made from Lentils, was not that bad in flavor, but the consistency.
Not wanting to waste money, I stick to classic, Italian Bronze Die pasta, and some Asian Rice pastas/noodles. Plus Buckwheat Soba noodles!! Delicious!

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do not suffer from Celiac disease, but an another condition that gets worse with ingesting Gluten protein.......

.....Celiac disease is not to be confused with Morbus Crohn, which I have a mild form of, made more interesting by severe Diverticulosis......
Thanks for the reminder. My daughter does indeed suffer from Crohns as well. In fact she was diagnosed with that first (back in 2004) and missed the celiac until around 2007. I do tend to have the symptoms run together in my mind at times.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Buckwheat has a specific flavor, if you are from a 'tasteless, fluffy white wheat bread' culture, you might not find these traditional seeds nice.
I am from a Rye culture, and have a problem with said bread....

The pasta I will never buy again, made from Lentils, was not that bad in flavor, but the consistency.
Not wanting to waste money, I stick to classic, Italian Bronze Die pasta, and some Asian Rice pastas/noodles. Plus Buckwheat Soba noodles!! Delicious!
Be wary of most non wheat pastas. Corn pasta doesn’t have enough starch (sauces have a difficult time sticking to it like they would with wheat pasta) and rice pastas have a bit too much starch (you need to constantly stir them while cooking or they stick together in a lump)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Some of these Intestinal problems, ( most, according to the docs I go to in Florida) can have a multi diagnosis.
They kind of float over the typical symptoms and test results.

They think that my problems stem from a cronically irritated stomach lining, possibly caused by eating under cooked or even raw, freeze dried chow for most of three years, made worse by studying stress later on.
Then about 11 years ago, I had to be on several month's HIV prevention meds, due to inhaling and having my nasal mucosa and eyes covered with a possibly HIV infected blood.
2 years after that, the problems erupted.

I am alive and HIV free, so am content and happy!

I buy only Bronze Die pasta. The surface is rough, 'torn' and everything sticks well to it.
These days they are very affordable compared to a decade ago.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I read that Britain will (try) achieve a Zero Carbon the year 2050 latest.

The fool that formulated those ideas and goal should be publicly punished.
Mankind have not done any 'Zero Carbon' load (lack of lad) on Earth for Millenia. Totally impossible.
I think maybe the Paleo era people were at that level, but I doubt it.
I need to read more about it tonight and see if I manage to find any planning and strategies how to achieve that. I like SciFi.

Reactions: Bootfox

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I am from a Rye culture, and have a problem with said bread...
No idea if true buckwheat but it was from the free from section for foods fit for coeliacs. Iirc the packet didn't have gluten on the label like it legally has to if present. It tasted awful.

We got it because normal duram wheat pasta was having a prompt effect on my intestines. We're talking complete inflation within 20 minutes! IBS = intestine condition that they don't know what it is and don't want to spend NHS money to find out.

It didn't work so it's pasta dinner followed by 2 windswettlers instead. Quick lie down and hopefully it's passed.

So far I've identified white pasta, broccoli, cauliflower, some breads, pork other than well cooked sausages and bacon. We're talking cremated bacon. Pork chops have always left me doubled up in pain. Very hard to identify all food triggers though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Btw I love rye bread. Favourite is a sourdough type of rye bread. White bread isn't good for me. Toasting helps but doesn't always stop IBS.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Which means unspecified.
Yes, you need to be used to certain flavours from childhood.

It took me more than 2 years after the main diagnostic procedures to start experimenting to find foods my insides do not like.
Now, 5-6 years later, I know exactly how I will react if I am being ‘food stupid’!

The main testing was where they did a deep colonoscopy, reaching into the thin intestine a cm or two, taking samples. Also an endoscopic exploration, deep into the duodenum, taking samples starting f4om the esophagus all the way down.
Plus blood tests, and DNA tests.

One of the suspicions was cancer.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No idea if true buckwheat but it was from the free from section for foods fit for coeliacs. Iirc the packet didn't have gluten on the label like it legally has to if present. It tasted awful.

We got it because normal duram wheat pasta was having a prompt effect on my intestines. We're talking complete inflation within 20 minutes! IBS = intestine condition that they don't know what it is and don't want to spend NHS money to find out.

It didn't work so it's pasta dinner followed by 2 windswettlers instead. Quick lie down and hopefully it's passed.

So far I've identified white pasta, broccoli, cauliflower, some breads, pork other than well cooked sausages and bacon. We're talking cremated bacon. Pork chops have always left me doubled up in pain. Very hard to identify all food triggers though.
Gluten isn’t an additive nor is it one of the common allergies (though many people do exhibit allergic reactions to it) It’s a molecule found in most grains (anything made from wheat will have gluten) so it usually isn’t required to label a food as containing gluten; rather it’s standard practice to label it “gluten free” if it contains less than 20 parts per million (although normally gluten free items do often carry a warning: “Processed on equipment that also processes wheat.”) Anything NOT labeled as gluten free is automatically assumed to have gluten—-even most potato crisps.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In the uk there is a "may contain...." phrase which does include gluten. Whether or not a requirement and always used I don't know.

I have given up trying to find my ibs triggers. Like I did for migraine triggers. Too many false positives. Like pasta, I went through a spell of pasta seeming like it was a trigger. Then it stopped triggering it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nope
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAJegQICxAB&usg=AOvVaw2iopdIANN-M7uGTD_OZXHC
A vested interest and 11 years of deliberate studying and regular conferences with registered dieticians tend to give a little an insight.
What do you mean? Food manufacturers use Gluten as an food additive.
To thicken, to bulk up.

That is the problem many sufferers have, foods that obviously do not contain any gluten containing grains/cereals can still contain Gluten.

For example, store bought frozen hamburgers can contain gluten. It is used as a filler of as a ‘glue’.
6 -7 years of farting like an elephant with stomach ache, and risking possible death from a burst Diverticulae if wrong food is eaten is a good incentive to delve into the problem too.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What do you mean? Food manufacturers use Gluten as an food additive.
To thicken, to bulk up.......
Nope. They use starches (many of which contain glutens) Gluten itself is useful for giving bread its “body.” That’s why most gluten free breads suck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE