Knives for younger people

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Our scouts originally had some Frosts Moras. Then bought some Mora 640 (Viking), think they were about £3 from Clas Ohlson- bargain price, reliable, easy to sharpen (great for teaching) and not too expensive to worry about. Only downside was they weren't always fully clean/dry when put away so tarnished quite quickly (making them unsuitable for use when cooking as well) or worse. SO then we upgraded to the Cocraft Mora (again Clas Ohlson for about £6). It's a Mora clipper with cocraft branding on the sheath which somehow makes it cheaper, but still the same solid construction- Advantage of this is being stainless doesn't matter so much if the scouts don't care for them as much as needed.

As always, kids find many ways to give themselves little nicks, but so far no bigger injuries (touch wood) and hey its all part of learning.

For crook knives, bought a few of FGYT a while back with some slightly smaller handles. As they're only sharp on one side, and with manageable handles, they're easy enough for little people to use. Ok I always make sure I'm the one instructing with the crook knives and its always to a small group, but so far not even a slight nick!

As long as you do a good safety brief first, make sure that they're all aware that knives are tools not toys, or weapons (sometimes even cover a bit on knife law as scouts are at the age where parents might buy them a knife and they might think it a good idea to take it to school to show there mates or what not), and have a first aid kit on hand you shouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: That isn't meant to sound like I'm against kids having knives, far from it- I got my first when I was 8 and had a small collection by 15. Just make sure they're aware when carrying one is appropriate and when isn't (We all carry a penknife up the woods as kids, but the town centre no thanks)

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Thanks again, and don't worry about trying to teach your granny how to suck eggs, I'd rather be told something twice, thrice or whatever than miss something useful (or when it comes to kids and crook knives a load of paperwork lol) I only ever have a small bunch of kids and knives for them to learn and use only appear when \I'm happy with the group (usually several weeks into a programme) Some 'toys' are just to look at/hold/ ask questions others are to use, very much an ongoing judgement.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I like the Mora Woodcarving Jr73/164. Suitable size for children. Available from Clas Ohlson.

728_175f37f41c09d3caf86341157ce84a48.jpg

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
My children when younger used BRKT Mini Canadians x 2 and a Brusletto Balder, both great for small hands. the Brusletto is particularly good for the younger ones and not expensive.

Regards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE