Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
if it rains over here before the end date, I may enter, as I happen to have a half-made blade floating around somewhere....while you long for sun, I'm waiting for rain...heh, I almost feel bad about living in Portugal

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I wonder if we can have our own 'making process' threads then reveal on here... that way those who do want to have a sneaky peak and learn can, whilst not spoiling the surprise for those who want to wait? Or a dedicated knife comp making (pic heavy) thread? Tis lovely to see diverse creations/ mods come alive, like on the trail hawk thread :)

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Made own blade

1, abominable_scouse_monster
2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill
9, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If a man doesn't make a blade, he can never be a knifemaker. The blade IS the knife :) These makers who don't make the blades are known and have always been known as hilters or some such. :) A knife maker makes everything himself. Nothing is outsourced, you'd be surprised how many knifemakers aint really knifemakers they are but one link in a chain. If any of the work is outsourced then no maker has the right to mark it as his alone, because it just aint.
Some of the finest knife makers never make thier own blades

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Good evening
I've just spoken via pm to man of tanith, Sam...and agreed to post pictures of the knife that i am donating as a prize, hope its worth winning and i hope you like it.

I've used what scraps i had laying around for the handle, hope that ok. All are stabilized woods. Black Ash burr, dyed box elder and masur birch.
Sam will let me know who i need to send it to when the winner is announced, good luck to all.
Thankyou
Lance.

A-22.jpg

B-22.jpg

C-22.jpg

D-21.jpg

k-3.jpg

E-21.jpg

F-18.jpg

G-14.jpg

H-16.jpg

J-7.jpg

I-13.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one Lance. :)

Good evening
I've just spoken via pm to man of tanith, Sam...and agreed to post pictures of the knife that i am donating as a prize, hope its worth winning and i hope you like it.

I've used what scraps i had laying around for the handle, hope that ok. All are stabilized woods. Black Ash burr, dyed box elder and masur birch.
Sam will let me know who i need to send it to when the winner is announced, good luck to all.
Thankyou
Lance.

A-22.jpg

B-22.jpg

C-22.jpg

D-21.jpg

k-3.jpg

E-21.jpg

F-18.jpg

G-14.jpg

H-16.jpg

J-7.jpg

I-13.jpg

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yup....of course i agree with all of that....very true (though technically you'd need to mine, purify, process the steel from the ground yourself to make your own flat stock to make that entirely true).....i certainly believe that to call yourself a knifemaker you should start at minimum with ground flat stock and cut out, heat treat and grind the blade.

a

If a man doesn't make a blade, he can never be a knifemaker. The blade IS the knife :) These makers who don't make the blades are known and have always been known as hilters or some such. :) A knife maker makes everything himself. Nothing is outsourced, you'd be surprised how many knifemakers aint really knifemakers they are but one link in a chain. If any of the work is outsourced then no maker has the right to mark it as his alone, because it just aint.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
omg.....lance.......i'm lost for words.....now what are we all gonna do? lolol....erm.....ok.....i'm now having a rethink....

back to drawing board?......

maybe i will pop round toms!!!! lolol! only joking!!!!!!!!

a

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
i'd been meaning to make a knife for a while, so this comp was just the kick i needed. it's a knife for a survival kit and the first time i've tried making one to a rough template (second ever attempt at a knife). it was intended to be finished and then painted before being packed away for years in it's tin, but i decided to make a sheath to join in with the competition instead.

i've made it as bushcrafty as possible and tried out some new stuff along the way:
used a bow drill to light my forge
used the knife to cut the leather for it's own sheath
i was using some antler to smooth the edges of the leather, so i decided to try carving some. made an id tag.
and rounded off by having a go at some nettle cordage to put it all together.

raw materials and finished product (you can see my reflection in the handle in the first pic)
DSC02347.jpg

DSC02348.jpg

back of sheath and knife with template
DSC02349.jpg

knife securely in place
DSC02350.jpg

faults 2, very small pit in the middle of the handle by the 2nd v notch, and a material defect by the hole nearest the blade (this only came to light when i started drilling, but it doesn't affect the use or strength i've just left it)
DSC02351.jpg

all in all i'm very pleased and the knife sharpened beautifully (enough to shave some hair from arm)

final thoughts; anyone else thinking of entering this competition, do it! don't be be put off by other people's wonderful knives, just make the best knife you can and learn from it. whenever i look at my first knife i think, wow, i made that, and remind myself that there was a time at the end of the bronze age when even my poor attempt would of been a gift worthy of a king or emperor.

cheers, dunc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE