Knife making competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
*snip*
bcde92b1-1155-3669.jpg

One showing how it fits in my hand.

Overall I really like this knife. I've put about 20 hours into it and the rewards are great. I'm also very pleased with the purple heart scales a the colour is all natural and I think the bras bolster and pins are a very nice compliment.

Hope you all like.

interestingly, the knife looks best in your hand, IMHO. Pity you can't see much of the handle, as the colour looks good in that photo.

also, are we allowed to make a knife, post it, then say, actually, I think this one is better, I'll enter this one in the comp?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
Made own blade

1, abominable_scouse_monster
2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill
9, Dave53...... Heat treament needed.

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
8,​

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
S.C.M
so ... what did you make the blade from, capt.dunc?

i used some iron bar, no idea of its carbon content, but i had the blade out in the woods the other day and it holds a good edge (it's the second knife i've cut from this bar and the first one has held it's point during throwing practice as well as it's edge). you can see the bar in my first picture and if you look at the end nearest the blade you'll notice it's flared out a bit where i was thinning and widening it on the anvil, i should of taken a picture before i removed the rough shaped knife from the stock.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
ps the iron cost about 6 quid i can't remember the exact price, leather was some free off cuts from a friend, as was the antler.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Made own blade

2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill
10, grey-array ( Hand Forged blade, first timer)

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew

I made the blade I'm going to use for the contest at the moot, after having looked at two of Dave Budd's demo's, I so very cheekily asked him If I could possibly make myself a blade for the competition, and as the clouds parted, the birds sang, and the fiery liquids ( yeah Dave your forge water made quite an impression ^^) stirred the stomages of the faint. he decided to give me a chance, again thank you Dave ( Ruud on his bare knees)
Having never done anything as forging it was quite the adventure but here we go this is my blade its just over 4 inches long
with a tang of 4 and 3/4 of an inch.
The blade tapers near the edge which was quite a challenge, and then to get the bend right, but it went pretty nicely ( beginners luck thank you very much ^^)
and the spine thickness is about 2 mm.

DSC06509.jpg

DSC06513.jpg

DSC06512.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

The spine is a bit edgy but then again, its fresh from the forge. What is your guys opinion file the spine smooth
or just go for that nice straight from the forge look so you can see the quality of the smith ( okay might not be to good at this point but then again its shows that its genuine right? )
Throw some opinions in
ps The steel I'm not sure about which it was anymore, but I will pm Dave about that
Yours sincerely Ruud

pps better build myself a forge, I got the bug

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi all

I know I put my name down for this competition right at the start, but I fell off the list somewhere along the line. I've been on my hols too, so haven't kept up with things. Anyway, while I was away I had a go at making a handle for a stick tang blade. This is my second attempt, and I've tried to learn from the good advice I got on my first (here, if anyone's interested: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77834).

It's a Polar 77mm hammered carbon blade (£16), a brass bolster (£3) and a lump of birds eye maple (£8). I'm quite pleased with it, though Mrs DHD reckons the handle is a bit too wide. I think I'll leave it as it is though, and have a go at another one (it's good fun, and I can see how people get into it as a hobby).

Anyway, enough rambling; here it is:

Polarknife.jpg

Attachments

• Polar knife compressed.jpg
    Polar knife compressed.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

warrenbond

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2011
south yorkshire
Its all good Mark thanks, hope your well mate.
not done much lately had a few weeks off watching the olympics, these should be ok when i get them done though:)
looking forward to seeing what you come up with mate:)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm good thanks. :)

Aye, looking forward to yours too, as well as everyone elses :) Be good to see what folk can conjure in the name of friendly competition. :)

Put you on the list mate.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Made own blade

2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Just adding my name to the list:

Made own blade

2, Belabear
3, DaveBromley
4, Bilmo
5, Fat ferret
6, TurboGirl
7, southey
8,leighwill

Bought or modified blade

1, angst
2, mountainm
3,man of tanith
4, Dannytsg
5, Water Gypsy
6, resnikov
7, dave53
8, Dark Horse Dave

Pro

1, Brancho
2, HillBill
3, Lannyman8
4, Gill
5, Stew
6, Warren Bond

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE