Kit List

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
These are my one of my favourite types of thread, the good old kit list.

I realised that there’s lots of stuff I carry but don’t really use, so decided to have a sort and take out bits I don’t think I’d need. Proved quite a useful exercise, I don’t know why I carry so many lighters and matches, or torches, or knives

This is a picture of my general kit list for when I’m out bushcrafting. There are other bits that I might take out, such as a tripod stool etc but this is generally it. I obviously haven’t included food!

BushcraftKit.jpg

Everything carried in a Macpac Glissade at the top of the pic

Top row from left to right
Hennessy Hammock – Deluxe Explorer. Have just got a hex fly for it
Carabiners for tree huggers
Full length self inflating mat
Sleeping bag (Decathlon S0 Ultralight XL)
First Aid kit
Tinder Pouch

Second row from left to right
Hobo stove (ikea drainer with coffee tin billy. Has got tea bags, coffee, sugar and little pots of milk inside)
Stainless steel pots. The main pot and a lid/pan. Have put wire on it to hang over a fire
Cup from pattern 58 bottle
UCO Candle Lantern in the neoprene pouch
Paracord
Fenix L1D CE
Petzl Zipka Plus
Leatherman Mini Tool
Spare batteries (3 x AAA and 1 x AA)
Gloves (just gardening type)
Hollow plastic tube for blowing on fire
Alcohol hand wipe
Fire Starting Kit (K&M Matchcase, Steel striker, flint, cotton wool, lighter, inner tube, charcloth, birch bark, Vaseline)

Bottom row from left to right
MSR Dromlite bag 6l
Wooden spoon (one for eating, one for tea/coffee)
Folding Ti Spork
Pot grabber for pots
Oddments for eating kept in stuff sack (clockwise from top left – wash kit (rubber plug, scourer, sponge, washing liquid, plastic scraper), coffee, dried milk, sugar, sachets of ketchup, mayo and KFC hand wipes, stacking mini condiment pot set (salt, pepper, chilli flakes, mixed herbs and garlic), tea bags, plastic bottle of oil
Toilet roll
Folding trowel/spade
Laplander
Spoon knife
Bushy knife (I LOVE this knife!)
Bark River OMF
GB Wildlife Hatchet (though could be swapped for a Mini Hatchet)

I’d be interested in hearing any comments, if any, and seeing what other people take. I was having a browse through the gallery and I find the pictures more useful than descriptions

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
that pic's huge, i can't see an edit button here to change it....

typical, i can edit this post, just not the other as i can't scroll over to it (cos of the ad) and trying the highlight method doesn't seem to be working this time

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Benp,

That's very much like my set up for a 3 day trip. Different makes of kit all round, but very similar in terms of the type of items. One difference is that I don;t take pots, only a billy inside the hobo stove. I also take a Nato water bottle with crusader cup instead of the plastic one. I also take a lightweight poncho if the weather dosn't look too good.

What size is the pack? I can probably get this (plus grub for 3 days) in a 45 litre bag.

Pablo.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
It looks fine to me. Not even occupying the full width of the screen.

Thats good then, still not right on my screen but I tried to resize it on photobucket so maybe its worked for other people looking at it.....

Benp,

That's very much like my set up for a 3 day trip. Different makes of kit all round, but very similar in terms of the type of items. One difference is that I don;t take pots, only a billy inside the hobo stove. I also take a Nato water bottle with crusader cup instead of the plastic one. I also take a lightweight poncho if the weather dosn't look too good.

What size is the pack? I can probably get this (plus grub for 3 days) in a 45 litre bag.

Pablo.

Pablo, what food do you take with you? I tend to use my billy for boil in the bag meals and hot water. All cooking (sausages,bacon etc) gets done in the pots. I didn't put my clothes on the list now you mention it. I tend to take a Berghaus Paclite jacket, its not very bushcrafty (particularly as its bright blue) but its tiny and a good piece of kit. If I know its going to rain then I might take a bigger coat, seem to have accumulated quite a few

The pack is 70 litres. There's still quite a bit of room in it, I can make more if i compress the sleeping bag and pack it a bit better but haven't needed to yet. My biggest two complaints about the pack is that there's no side pockets and there weight - its 3kg, though quite comparable to similarly sized packs. I do love it though, it fits me well and its extremely hard wearing, the material used to make it is a high cotton blend and is quite similarly to sturdy canvas

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I would file the gloves in a container marked "bin" and as I am not that bothered about making masses of spoons (come on admit it, theres a "Bushcrafter" obsession about making spoons for some strange reason) so I would ditch the spoon knife and leave it at home.

To carry a spoon (gasp) takes up less space than the spoon knife.

To be honest, unless I owned the land (I only own a terrace house and garden amount of land and to be more honest the bank owns most of that) the axe and saw could stay at home also.

I would regard it as bad form to start chopping other peoples trees down when all I <flameproof undercrackers ON> want is to make a shelter.
Can't say I have ever needed a placky tube to blow on a fire either but thats a personal thing.

And wheres the beer/Laphroaig:confused:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Just pre packed the sac for my trip to Norway on monday, it's been a while since i last packed a sac for two weeks, bang on my weight allowance and at capacity of 90L :rolleyes:
Fishing stuffs taking up about 25% due to my waders and vast lure collection :eek:
Much amusement for swmbo as i've spent the last few hours pondering what can be left behind and what i've forgotten and what still needs washing (fleece and liner socks).
Now my head hurts and the ice has melted in my vodka and coke :sulkoff:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Pablo, what food do you take with you? I tend to use my billy for boil in the bag meals and hot water. All cooking (sausages,bacon etc) gets done in the pots. I didn't put my clothes on the list now you mention it. I tend to take a Berghaus Paclite jacket, its not very bushcrafty (particularly as its bright blue) but its tiny and a good piece of kit. If I know its going to rain then I might take a bigger coat, seem to have accumulated quite a few

I tend to take pre prepared meals like chilli or stew (in pour and store sealable bag.) I can never find boil in the bag meals in the supermarket and the stuff from the camping shops is way too pricey. Sometimes I'll make from fresh (just a billy for that) and BBQ breakfasts on a green stick is ok. Egg is messy though. :)

Spoons? Why not. It's the only craft I can do to some sort of standard. It's nice and personal as well.

Pablo.

A

appletree_man

My gear. I'm still relatively new at sleeping out, so this is all experimental.

25L backpack (Highlander cheapy)
Roll up mat
1.5L plastic water bottle
Seychelle purification bottle
Stainless mug
Mess tin
Spoon & fork
100ft Para cord
US Army poncho
Wool blanket
First aid kit
2 candles
Ferro rod
British Army hexi stove
Paper type cloths (for toilet paper, & washing)
SAK
Opinel knife
Torch
Head torch
Whistle
Matchcase
Compass
Survival bag
Spare clothes (usually wooly jumper, rain shell, couple pair of socks, pair of trousers, 2 sweatshirts, wolly hat, gloves)

No sleeping bag. I haven't felt a need for one so far, I just roll up in the blanket, and if it's wet, the poncho.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Well here goes :rolleyes:

Camping stuff:
4 season down sleeping bag
3/4 thermarest
Hammock with tarp and mozi net
Kukri
bowie knife
ferro rod
firelighting kit
1 billy can (14cm)
spork thingy
LED petzl head torch
camera and spare batterys
1 small book (trout fishing with spinners) and new Viz mag plus maps
1st aid kit
mobile phone (doubt it'll work though)
15m para cord
all purpose soap
teeth cleaning stuff

Fishing kit:
4piece spinning rod
1 reel, 1 spare spool
spare line (6lb and 12lb)
30 lures, spinners etc
tooth brush
neoprene waders

Food:
alpen bars
bag of rice
dried fruit
lemon tea
few condiments
small bottles of whisky, gold rum and cognac (bribes and pleasure)
platy bottles
insulated mug

Clothing:
Have taken both wool and synthetic clothing options to decide which is best, base layer, mid and outer (and socks aswell), one week in each...
Thought i might get in and out before the snow arrives, looks like thats not going to happen as the forecast is snow showers from thursday onwards :tapedshut

I'm sure theres more than this in my sac :rolleyes:

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Thought I'd give it ago,This is the most id ever take or have taken.

Rucksack:Lowe Alpine(55 Litre ,i think)
Taking with me to camp relativly comfartable,

Traditonal Wooden Handled Mora
C 58 Water Bottle
***Entrenching tool
Decathalon 3x3 Tarp(£15!!!!)
Pro action crappy sleeping bag(Will invest in a Merlin)
Small hatchet type axe for limbing and splitting etc.
Roll mat
Some form of food rice and some meet for breakfast, and something for dog though on the last 2 occasins she caught a her own,(small birds and rabbit)

2ltr of water if im going to the beach otherwise use stream at woods
Book
***Messtin set and billy can.
Thats about it.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thought I'd give it ago,This is the most id ever take or have taken.

Rucksack:Lowe Alpine(55 Litre ,i think)
Taking with me to camp relativly comfartable,

Traditonal Wooden Handled Mora
C 58 Water Bottle
***Entrenching tool
Decathalon 3x3 Tarp(£15!!!!)
Pro action crappy sleeping bag(Will invest in a Merlin)
Small hatchet type axe for limbing and splitting etc.
Roll mat
Some form of food rice and some meet for breakfast, and something for dog though on the last 2 occasins she caught a her own,(small birds and rabbit)

2ltr of water if im going to the beach otherwise use stream at woods
Book
***Messtin set and billy can.
Thats about it.

What do you use the entrenching tool for?

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Personally I would file the gloves in a container marked "bin" and as I am not that bothered about making masses of spoons (come on admit it, theres a "Bushcrafter" obsession about making spoons for some strange reason) so I would ditch the spoon knife and leave it at home.

To carry a spoon (gasp) takes up less space than the spoon knife.

To be honest, unless I owned the land (I only own a terrace house and garden amount of land and to be more honest the bank owns most of that) the axe and saw could stay at home also.

I would regard it as bad form to start chopping other peoples trees down when all I <flameproof undercrackers ON> want is to make a shelter.
Can't say I have ever needed a placky tube to blow on a fire either but thats a personal thing.

And wheres the beer/Laphroaig:confused:

I've only recently bought the gloves so haven't used them yet, I want to try making nettle cordage and don't want my hands stinging. There's no real other use for them at the moment. Some thin leather ones would probably be better as they'd be more general use but these ones were a bargain - &#163;1!

I don't really need the spoon knife, but if I suddenly fancied it and didn't have it with me I'd be really annoyed. Its not too huge a weight so quite like having it with me. It doesn't often get used if I'm honest, generally doing other things.

Well I'm very lucky in that respect, I go to the Reading Meets so can use the saw and axe when I fancy, generally more for chopping firewood than anything else.

The axe is a bit of a luxury, I don't really need it, but I love it and feel very bushcrafty when I have/use it. I'm not proficient at it so need to get in lots of practice. Its quite heavy so have swapped it for the Mini Hatchet before but for me, the Wildlife Hatchet is more use.

The plastic tube is excellent, honestly, I used to use a pen but found that tube in a drawer the other day. When the fire's died down a bit and you need to get it going the tube this bit of kit will really get it cooking and you don't burn your face or have to blow your lungs out. The weight is negligible so definitely worth taking it.

I tend to take pre prepared meals like chilli or stew (in pour and store sealable bag.) I can never find boil in the bag meals in the supermarket and the stuff from the camping shops is way too pricey. Sometimes I'll make from fresh (just a billy for that) and BBQ breakfasts on a green stick is ok. Egg is messy though. :)

Your food's a good idea, guess I need to get prepared in advance, which I'm not particularly good at! I've got some 2 minute microwave pouch meals from sainsbury's, they're dirt cheap and not that bad. I just boil the pouchs and job done!

Thats about it.

That's a small kit list, good stuff!

I guess there's quite a bit more stuff I could lose if I really wanted to go lightweight but I like carrying those bits, they make the stay enjoyable!

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
First Aid Kit is pretty bog standard to be honest but needs a bit more kit in it - 2 large wound dressings, 2 medium dressings, gloves, wipes, plasters, safety pins, resusci face shield, triangular bandage. I'm on a 4 day first aid course next week so should be better prepared shortly!

I say its pretty equal, but pretty low for both. Perhaps the axe slightly more, I've used it for carving and splitting wood. The saw gets use for chopping wood to size, I don't use it that much but its so damn useful when its needed.

WilliamEd

Sep 3, 2007
Yorkshire
I used to use a Karrimor Sabre 75 with side pouches but found that because I had the room, I always tended to fill it with those 'What If' items you never really use.

I have just downsized to a Karrimor Sabre 45 with side pouches and have used it for a 2 week trek with no problems.

Contents:

Sleep
BA Arctic Sleeping Bag:
BA Goretex-Bivi Bag
Thermares Prolite 4 Sleep Mat
I tend to build a shelter for protection from the elements but depending on how quick I need to get out of the rain sometimes use the BA Poncho.

Cooking/Eating:
Zebra Billy Can
MSR Alpine Plate
LMF Spork (Sorry I much prefer to use one of these cheap plasticy Spork/Spoon combo's. Might upgrade to Titanium in the fututre but this is ideal at £1.50)

Water:
MSR Miniworks Water Filter
MSR MIOX Purifier
2 x 1 Litre Nagalene Bottles

Other Stuff:
Petzl MYO XP Headtorch
Spare Batteries
Leatherman Wave Multi Tool
Bacho Laplander
Small Folding Spade (For digging latrine etc)
Tinderpouch (Contains - Cotton Wool, Wetfire, LMF Firesteel)
Toilet Roll (Most Important) in an Exped Waterproof Bag
Fallkniven F1
BA Poncho
FAK
Paracord
Food (Freeze Dried Meals, Salami, Nuts and Museli bars)
On the outside top of the rucksack I have a Swanndri Ranger Extreme Shirt Rolled up in a Dry Bag as I tend to just walk in a baselayer and thin fleece in most weather as I get quite warm. Combined with the Poncho gives a great waterproof/warm layer.

That's about everything. I have just had a look at what I used to pack in the Sabre 75 and these are what I took INCLUDING as the list above. (No wonder my back used to suffer)

Primus Omnifuel Liquid Fuel Stove + 0.6l Fuel Bottle
Optimus CRUX Gas Stove and Cannister
Primus Litetech Pan Set
Primus Trek Kettle
Hennessy Hammock ASYM Deluxe
BA Basha
BA Entrenching Tool (Digs quicker than my current small folding one but weighs 4 times as much)
3 x 1 litre Sigg Water Bottles (Using the 2 Nalgalene bottles I have now, I alternate using one for water been treated by the MIOX with a 4 hour wait and the other in my side pouch for drinking water for immediate use) If I am setting camp with a fire I tend not to use the MIOX and instead just boil for 3-5 minutes after purifing.
GB Mini Hatchet (I don't really carve and tend to just use the Laplander for cutting now)
BA Goretex Jacket & Pants

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE