Kit for a newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
Hello all,

My first of hopefully many questions. Im sitting here credit card in hand itching to buy 'stuff', with only 19 days to go to my Woodsmoke Woodlander course. (im a complete novice, apart from my scouting days MANY moons ago!)

Things I still need to get are, a tent and a suitable rucksack.

Rucksack, ive got 2 vango's that I use when walking in the lakes, a 25ltr and a 35ltr. Im hoping to use both and have enough space for the weeks course.

Tent, OMG how much choice is there!! I've been drawn in by the £400 tents but im thinking a Vaude taurus 2 at the moment as I am more likely to go away with somebody rather than just by myself at present.

The thing is I need this 'stuff' for the course, but im worried I may come away from it all thinking i've bought in error.... any advice please?

Im hoping to spend some extended weekends away as I have access to a large piece of land around Bala (Wales) to play in later and there is also talk of a few week long, 80mile, backpacking/bushcraft style breaks in England this year.

Money isn't the issue, buying the right equipment is!

cheers all :D

Barblade

Dec 15, 2005
Lancashire, UK
Hi Andy
Welcome to BushcraftUk mate, from one newb to another:
Can't offer much advice on the packs or the courses but personally I'm a fan of Vaude tent's, I use the old Hogan myself and have found it extremely quick to pitch (with it shock-cord system it'll be up and guyed in a storm in less than 10 mins), more reliable than some of the other tents i've owned, though you do have to be very good friends to use it as a 2-man tent.

If I was gonna get another solo tent though i'd spend the extra cash and go with a Hilleberg, though no doubt there will be lots of people advising you to try out a hammock/basha, which can be very comfy if a little cold at times - Personally my take on it is take what kit you need to be comfortable and enjoy yourself, eventually most people learn to take the kit that's neccessary and improvise the rest.

Most important thing is to ask questions regarding gear and techniques for bushcraft the people on these forums have seen pretty much every brand you can think of and usually someone can offer glowing praise (I'm a buffalo gear fanboy) or "constructive criticism" (Gore-tex is the suck for bushcrafting)

Enjoy your stay mate

Barblade

Did you not check out the kit advice page on the woodsmoke website ? look here

http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/p/v/Resources/Kit+Advice/

I am guessing that You won't need everything but this will give you a good idea

field and trek are currently giving 20% off if you enter the code tc76 at the checkout stage.

http://www.fieldandtrek.co.uk/

Most of the people here i think use a tarp and hammock instead of a tent but the choice is yours.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If you only need a tent for the course, I'd consider borrowing one or buying a cheap one, as you might find you prefer either sleeping under a tarp or in a hammock and the tent would be redundant.

I'd try and get by with as little as you can and then see how other folks do it, be that out and about, on your course or at a meet. I imagine most people would let you try out their tent/basha/hammock for size along with lots of advice on other gear.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yer listen to him dont buy a tent because you will probably ditch it after and buy a tarp
thats what i did anyway

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i would be very carefull buying too much1

bushcraft means woodfire = melted stuff

if i were you i would check out your local surplus store and see what they have, it's easy to think you have to look like Ray Mears to call yourself a Bushcrafter and to be fair there are a few fashions about "swannidry", "bush hats".

be yourself, make sure you are comfortable, take old stuff, you will get filthy smokey etc.

what i always do before and after a course is i list everything i took, then on return i list everything i used, this helps you decide on wether stuff was great ok or terrible.

but don't worry, enjoy yourself and put that card away! ;)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Take just the stuff you'll need, borrow what you haven't got and don't be seduced by all the top gear. Half of bushcraft is about making do with what you have. and this way you won't get left with an expensive "thingumy" that will be left to gather dust in the attic ;) As you get more into the craft, you may want to upgrade a bit but for starters some things you can save money on yourself...
Billy cans made from old catering tins
meths stove made from ally drinks cans
Machine Mart tarp £11.00 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=030810284

Get a cheap carbon Frosts Mora knife to start, They're about £7 and you can really give them some hammer. A sleeping bag is difficult to make so you will need one of those. But beg or borrow what you don't have and as you progress, you'll find the kit tat suits. Most of all though, enjoy your course, try other peoples kit, watch and learn from your team mates and tell us your tales when you come back :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek: Blimey i haven't seen those tarps before!

i could have saved some money and time making my group shelter!! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE