Kit buying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
Hi all,

since christmas is coming up, I figure this is the ideal time to stock up on some kit I'll need for my first ventures into the wild next year.
I went to a campsite this year, so have got a stove, messtins, fok/knife, cup, sleeping bag and a good water-proof jacket.
I'll be asking for waterproof trousers and walking/trekking boots, a hammock and tarp, (should I ask for the DD camping hammock or the DD travel hammock?)
What else should I request (please write down anything I've not mentioned that I'll need no-matter how trvial)?

Cheers all,
Musicman.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I would suggest a course of some kind. You get to learn the skills, use the kit and meet like minded people. Most of the schools sell kit as far as I know so you get the advantage of handling it before purchase.

I spent alot of time on here before I joined just reading reviews etc. before I bought any new kit. You may notice that some people have a preference for a particular brand or material, tatonka, merino etc. but they have years of experience of using the equipment and give advice freely.

Also maybe you should get full membership here and avail of the discounts from the main bushcraft kit suppliers when you do decide what to buy....;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Get a good pair of waterproof trousers, the army DPM with bottom zips work well and are as cheap as chips (grade 1's/as new at my local shop are £25)

If there is any chance you are not going to camp in the woods, get a tent, a hammock is as much good as a chocolate tea pot without trees and you can always get one as your experience/funds allow; and if you only have a hammock you have already limited your camping options; lots of wonderful open areas up with you, please don't think bushcraft camping is woodland only, its not.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm
Don't let the cheap price or colour put you off, it will take bad rain and wind plus its midge proof and won't weigh you down

Get these, 10 for less than three quid delivered, attach them to bits of kit and your never without light
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253 A mate in the States has always been a fan of the Photon Micro light but is now gutted after buying some of these, trust me, they are super value for money, push button to light, click switch for constant light

Have fun, enjoy your new hobby and don't get obsessed with the 'right' label on your kit, some good gear can be had for not a lot of money

All the best
Richard

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
Thanks for the replies, the stove is a campingaz twister 270PZ.

What about extra ropes etc. - should i bring any extra ropes apart from the ones supplied with the hammock and tarp?
I'm quite looking forward to camping in forrests etc. but will keep the tent suggestion in mind.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have to agree...X 2..!!!

I make no secret of the fact that I'm not a hammock lover, tried them, they are just not for me, plus my Hex 3 sets up quicker and with the nest is more bug proof.

Its not the comfort of the hammock I don't like, its just that they can be a little unsocial. Share a tent with a mate in bad weather, you can sit there, talk, play cards, drink beer, cook (with ventilation and safety in mind) and share a meal, see and interact with each other etc.

Its a shame so many new people to sites like this feel they 'have to' have a hammock, its seems logical to my aged brain at least, to get a tent, use it as a base from which they can expand their skills and use tarps/hammocks etc. Most people can work out how to put up a tent, rigging a tarp / hammock is different (easy when you know how) and it would be a shame to have to pack up and go home early because your camp just is not right; take a tent a few times, then take a tarp along as well to practise with, at least you still have a good shelter for your trip while you learn.. Courses are fine but expensive, look out for a meet near you, you will learn a lot for free.

As for kit in general, ask the question "what is this meant to do", do I need a £X pot or will this less than £X pot do the job while I learn etc, your Twister stove is fine for summer and will work in winter with a little help from a good wind shield which will reflect a little heat to the gas cartridge and keep it running better. You don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy your camping experience; find that local meet, that is important.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Frosts Mora.
£7.50-£8.00
Cheap as they come, but a top quality blade way beyond the quality you could expect at the price.
As you are from Glasgow you could get one( the stainless version ) at Adventure 1 beside Queen Street Station.
They don't have them on display, you have to ask.(Hope you are over 18)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have to agree with the others. i love hammocking but it's usually taken when I know that there is woodland to camp in and the ground is unsuitable for a tent. The Pro Action tents from Argos are excellent value and as said previously you get a lot of "bang for your buck" Alloy poles , custom pegs, well made tentage at a reasonable price. Don't become a label slave, there is a lot of good cheap serviceable kit that doesn't have some celebrities name on it. Also there is a lot of satisfaction in making som of your own kit. Look here for making a stove http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html also check out some of the guys on here. Wayland for example has some excellent tutorials on his own site here http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/projects.html.
Also have a quick look at a thread I wrote a while ago..Might give you some ideas

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18667&highlight=bushcraft+budget

Most of all, enjoy your hobby :D

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I make no secret of the fact that I'm not a hammock lover, tried them, they are just not for me, plus my Hex 3 sets up quicker and with the nest is more bug proof.

Its not the comfort of the hammock I don't like, its just that they can be a little unsocial. Share a tent with a mate in bad weather, you can sit there, talk, play cards, drink beer, cook (with ventilation and safety in mind) and share a meal, see and interact with each other etc.

Its a shame so many new people to sites like this feel they 'have to' have a hammock, its seems logical to my aged brain at least, to get a tent, use it as a base from which they can expand their skills and use tarps/hammocks etc. Most people can work out how to put up a tent, rigging a tarp / hammock is different (easy when you know how) and it would be a shame to have to pack up and go home early because your camp just is not right; take a tent a few times, then take a tarp along as well to practise with, at least you still have a good shelter for your trip while you learn.. Courses are fine but expensive, look out for a meet near you, you will learn a lot for free.

As for kit in general, ask the question "what is this meant to do", do I need a £X pot or will this less than £X pot do the job while I learn etc, your Twister stove is fine for summer and will work in winter with a little help from a good wind shield which will reflect a little heat to the gas cartridge and keep it running better. You don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy your camping experience; find that local meet, that is important.

I agree, I just dont do them. Always froze my socks off in em in cold weather. I prefer a small tent, at least your own body heat can keep it warmed up. Just my own preference

Gray

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Socially you can hang in the hammock and chat whilst watching the weather and sea or loch. You can always hang them up using a ruined wall or shieling. Or even large boulders or a rockface.Hammocks have their place just like tents.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Socially you can hang in the hammock and chat whilst watching the weather and sea or loch. You can always hang them up using a ruined wall or shieling. Or even large boulders or a rockface.Hammocks have their place just like tents.

Hammocks do have their place, but its not much fun trying to talk to a mate a few feet away when the wind is blowing and its raining heavy, thats when tents have their place; plus, you can't play cards or backgammon in hammocks/tarps, cook and share a meal etc

For me, hammocks except in good weather, are anti social, I enjoy sharing my camping with my son or a good mate, just can't get the same from a hammock IMHO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE