Kindle recomendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
The family bought me one for my 70th birthday. Ilove it. As an avid reader, books have always been a weight problem when travelling light. Kindle solves that. I have a wide range of down loaded, mostly, free books, including Complete Shakespeare. I have all of George Borrow: just finished re-reading Wild Wales. Users of this site make like to know that a whole host of US Gov survival/bushcraft books are downloadable free and a range of similar titles are very cheap. You can download a sample free before deciding whether of not to buy. I keep mine in a waterproof zip pouch but it also fits easily into a small ziploc: this has the advantage of being able to read it while still protected from the elements. As for knocks, I've dopped it without harm, but I don't expect to throw it about. Battery life seems Ok: so far I've read four full length books on it on one charge.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Biker - download Calibre to manage your eBooks, PDF's etc on your PC as it can be quite cumbersome. AFAIK, it is not a straight forward process getting ebooks onto a Kindle if they haven't been bought from Amazon - it can be done just needs a bit of fudging (and converting). You could consider a cheap Android tablet device instead - they are bigger, heavier and not as good to read on as a Kindle BUT you can do a lot more with them.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the reccommendations for reading software etc. I'm downloading the knidle software and Calibre right now. The CDs and DVDs with these ebooks on are in the UK for me to collect once I get over there at Christmas so there's no crushing urgency right now.

Anyway many thanks for the info and advice.

Maxip Having moved over to France in 2004 I am soooo out of touch with these sorts of devices so Kindle and Android are really just names to me right now, shameful I know, but I hope to learn more about them before I commit myself to which is best for me. Not really looking to have Internet access via it. I just want a storage device for the books so I have it to hand whereever I happen to be.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:lmao::lmao::lmao: A Kobo?!!! oh that's so last century mate! (Points and laughs at Teedee)
Actually I have no idea what a kobo is, I just couldn't resist sounding like a pillock with posting the above. Sorry Teedee, no offence intended mate.
(PM sent to Rik, thanks in advance for any info)

No worries Biker , 'tis the season.

Anyway...back to the Kobo , anyway know what its like??

We got a kindle 4 for the household this Christmas. I used to be an avid reader but over the last 10 years I have probably only read a dozen books, I read alot of articles and informational material on my pc and have already loaded a pile of pdf files on ours and a handful of Stephen King books. I will be taking ours to the woods for reading in my hammock or tent. I use Calibre to manage my pdf files and ebooks. Easy once you get the hang of it. I got a duragadet case with intergrated stand which gives you the option of reading it hands free.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well I got my Kindle, no regrets either it was a match made in heaven. So I'm busy filling it up with all sorts of stuff. Got the tnire collection of Robert .A. Heinlein on it just becasue I can. How sad is that?

That Calibre program is brillinat for converting PDFs to .mobi format, it's opened up a whole new world for me.

Turned off the WIFI as soon as I registered it, can't be doing with that option when I don't have WIFI at home.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I got one for my birthday a week ago and I am hooked! Absolutely amazing. Highly recommended.

Just ordered a cover for it and tonight will try out calibre.

Wasn't there a thread on bushcrafty PDFs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
'The Book Of The Bush Containing Many Truthful Sketches Of The Early Colonial Life Of Squatters, Whalers, Convicts, Diggers, And Others Who Left Their Native Land And Never Returned' (George Dunderdale).

Down loaded for the title alone ~ that it's free is a bonus (As is having a note of a killer Charades turn :rofl: ).

Good so far :D .

Also 'How to Camp Out' (John Mead Gould) and '1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue' (Francis Grose) ~ both freebies.
In the case of the dictionary vulgar refers more to colloquialisms of the time and, in order to avoid the profanities you might expect, the writer / editor make use of some useful clever turns of phrase :D .

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I started a thread in the resources section a few days ago about free books for kindles. Free "Woodcraft and camping" by George Washington Sears. Sorry I did'nt
see this thread first.
Colin.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
I love my kindle. The great thing is the access to the 100s of titles that you would never even know existed if you only relied on whats available in our library. Plus with the new books, cheap and free books,talking books..... whats not to like!!

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
We bought our daughters a Kindle "fire" each for christmas and they are very good, reading the reviews they appear to be "better" than the ipad and such, they will never replace a laptop or notebook but for an all in one they are great.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Install DuoKan if you have a lot of PDFs - it renders them much better than the kindle software. You can zoom, change font etc.

Plus it doesn't invalidate your warranty as you can uninstall at any time.

iHydro

Apr 11, 2012
Digby, Lincolnshire
Not a Bushcraft book by any means but if you are a fan of Terry Pratchetts Discworld series you might like "Hal Spacejock". The name of the author eludes me at present but his writing style is akin to Terrys and the humour is equally as funny. This book is the first in the series and is FREE on the Kindle store. Subsequent books are only in the region of £2.50 to buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE