Kestrel chick ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

While out walking the dog on Friday evening a movement at the base of an old Ivy covered Ash tree caught my eye.
On closer inspection this is what I found, took just the one pic today as I didn't want to disturb it too much.

dsc029682Small.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a Kestrel chick :confused: must have fallen from a nest in the Ash but seems fit and well and at least one of the parents is still tending for it.
While taking the picture the chick called loudly just like the call on this RSPB Bird I.D site

The Ivy covered Ash:

DSC02969Small.jpg

Not sure of it's chances or even if it is common for chicks to be on the ground, it's in a quiet area , only I walk that particular stretch of road and is also quite well hidden where it is so hopefully it's got a fair chance of survival.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's certainly a kestrel. I wouldn't worry about it, i's not unusual to find a kestrel nest on the ground. I've found a few nests over the years between well concealed buttress roots. It looks big enough and hard enough to defend itself admirably.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE