Kate Humble in Afghanistan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
If you didn't catch Kate Humble visiting the Wakhi sheep farmers in a remote area of Afghanistan (BBC2 9-10pm tonight) check it out on iPlayer. Really good stuff.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I caught this last night , a superb programme . I always find it very humbling to see how welcoming and generous people are when they barely have enough for themselves . It's also nice to see that not all of the world is caught up in the troubles that seem to dominate the news ,I think there are strong lessons to be learnt from people who live lives free from corrupt goverments and media and just get on with their lives !

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wish she'd stay over there and keep out of our valley, buying up some of the best farmland around here with all that media money, to turn it into some kind of " country crafts center ". They can keep her!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As a flip side to the fluffy world of the delectable Miz Humble search youtube for 'This is what winning looks like' and be prepared to be shocked. Not blood and gore just shocked at attitudes. Full length documentary and well worth watching but I'd best not post a direct link, just search for yourself.
[h=1][/h]

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
As a flip side to the fluffy world of the delectable Miz Humble search youtube for 'This is what winning looks like' and be prepared to be shocked. Not blood and gore just shocked at attitudes. Full length documentary and well worth watching but I'd best not post a direct link, just search for yourself.

However fluffy Kate Humble's world might be (she keeps sheep after all) this programme was a good bit of work. It's no picnic getting to Afghanistan still less of one trekking up to 14,000 feet. Her portrayal of the shepherds there was unsentimental and insightful. No one tried to romanticise their lives and KH kept herself out of the way enough for the programme to be about the Wakhi rather than TV celeb meets the Wakhi.

Also their homeland is so remote the war has not touched it. This was a portrait of a tribe living self sufficiently in one of the most remote and hostile regions of the world and had nothing to say about the war.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My post was something of a hijack, for which I apologise; I'm sure she makes some good programmes but not being a TV watcher I don't know......I will watch this one on me player, and also follow rik_uk3's suggestion.
Feelings have been running high 'round these parts over some dodgy dealings, but that's nothing to do with the OP, and I shouldn't have posted what I did...................atb mac

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
However fluffy Kate Humble's world might be (she keeps sheep after all) this programme was a good bit of work. It's no picnic getting to Afghanistan still less of one trekking up to 14,000 feet. Her portrayal of the shepherds there was unsentimental and insightful. No one tried to romanticise their lives and KH kept herself out of the way enough for the programme to be about the Wakhi rather than TV celeb meets the Wakhi.

Also their homeland is so remote the war has not touched it. This was a portrait of a tribe living self sufficiently in one of the most remote and hostile regions of the world and had nothing to say about the war.

Watch the video I mentioned and you'll understand what I meant.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
My post was something of a hijack, for which I apologise; I'm sure she makes some good programmes but not being a TV watcher I don't know......I will watch this one on me player, and also follow rik_uk3's suggestion.
Feelings have been running high 'round these parts over some dodgy dealings, but that's nothing to do with the OP, and I shouldn't have posted what I did...................atb mac

No apology necessary. I know nothing about her sheep farming or any feathers she has ruffled.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just watched the video that rik_uk3 posted, and although I was prepared for most of the things in it, to actually see them put together like this is breathtaking - history repeats itself it's said; well it certainly does in Afghanistan...............it's a different universe and we have no business being there.

You just have to feel for all the good people on both sides, but there just ain't enough of them.............444 of our people lost?.............What for?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just a few months before Russia took over in Afghanistan one of my brothers and his then girlfriend hitch-hiked through Afghanistan, Iran, India and went to Kathmandu. Must have been about 1978 or so.
He described Afghanistan and Iran as the friendliest places he's ever been to and if the people he met weren't going in the right way to give them a lift they took them to the home of someone they knew who would be going in the right direction.

His words not mine "I don't think I'd want to do it all now that Bush and Blair have made the world a safer place"

You can draw your own conclusions about that comment.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I will check out Kate Humble's video when I can get someone to turn my UK based computer on and off again. :)

I will look at rik-uk3's video link later when I have a bit more time, I know the man behind it and he has produced some worthwhile documentaries in the past.

For those interested in Afghanistan and its people and their dealings with those from 'outside' I'd recommend...

Danziger's Travels by Nick Danziger

and

The Places In Between by Rory Stewart

In the former Nick Danziger describes his time being 'smuggled' by the through occupied (by the Russians) Afghanistan by what Amazon.co.uk are now calling 'rebel guerillas'. :)

The latter follows Rory Stewart as he walks through and Afghanistan recently freedom-ized by coalition forces.

Both are great reads for anyone planning on long walks in far off places.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE