Karrimor Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Saw this at the local Field and Trek which is shutting down (bargains!). It's the same as this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Compass/dp/B00317841G

Priced at £3.99

To be honest I wasn't impressed. I use Karrimor boots and rucksacks and have always been happy. But the compass is not great. Just the build quality really. If I push behind the dial, it will pop out. Also when I turn the dial the needle follows it unless the compass is really very flat.

Should have listened to my heart and got a Silva instead! :eek:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Keep mind the Karrimor name was sold off a few years ago.

Iirc only the special forces rucsacs were kept separate.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds a bit iffy, probably not the best idea for navigation

You can pick up a basic and reliable Silva for just over a tenner

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Bought a Silva Ranger today for £12 down from £20 at the same place. So much better! Just goes to show that if you buy cheap you buy twice.

Karrimor: magnifier slightly better than the Silva one imho: 1 point to Karrimor

GITD features Silva: dot in centre of needle and on N side of needle, two dots on dial either side of north arrow, and one on the 'frame' too. Karrimor: One on frame, two static dots on dial, none on needle (at all!): 1 point to Silva

Build quality. I pressed my thumbs against the back of the karrimor and as I suspected, the compass popped out with not a lot of pressure. Same pressure to the silva and nothing happened at all: -2 points to Karrimor.

Needle reset time - spin both compasses around a few times, the Karrimor's needle is slowly moving back to North, the Silva's never left north: +1 to Silva.

Angle: By tilting the Karrimor one by less than 45 degrees I can get the needle to point south - it drags on the bottom of the dial. Cannot do that with the Silva: -1 to Karrimor.

Final scores

Karrimor: -2
Silva: 2

so the Silva's three times the price but well worth it.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Sounds a bit like the compass that had in Poundland a while back, I'll say this much for it though, it certainly glows in the dark, enough to worry the UKAEA I suspect.

You can't beat a good Silva, until you step on it, that is.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Yeah I was thinking of getting one of the poundland ones just to see what it's like. I mean they all do the same job, but I just like to have things that can take a beating without falling apart. Not that I plan on abusing them, but just in case. Same reason I carry victorinox SAKs not some cheap knockoff, same reason I bought a SJAB first aid kit not a cheaper one. The cheaper stuff most likely will do the job just fine, but for my piece of mind it's worth the extra. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE