just sliced the end of my finger off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Well it wont stop bleeding. Something a bot more drastic required I think to cauterize the wound somehow.

Least painful idea? I have some tint benz, zinc, friars balsam, but that would produce an impressive amount of pain.

What about a saline solution, just salt water?

Doctor Mick, Im looking at you mate.

Saline solution isn't salt water but use that to rinse if you need to. A procogulant dressing is what you need but I doubt you'll have one. You can make one but it involves some pretty involved chemistry. Friars isn't massively effective. If you have a styptic pencil for shaving cuts (styric acid and alum) it will stop but really sting

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Mick, Ive just covered in friars balsam, sealed it off pretty good, and dressed it. Ive done stuff like this to myself enougn times to know its come out ok.

Cheers anyway bud. It'll be fine now.

Best.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No bother. Keep a sterile dressing fairly tight on it and keep it elevated and it should be fine. I know of someone who used an iron to cauterise a cut but I wouldn't advise it lol

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nettle? Looks like a fern.

If you are determined not to let a medic take a look, I suppose you could dribble some superglue on it
(this is like starting the campag vs shimano debate on a cycling forum, or 9mm vs 45 on any american website).

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hmm, had a similar incident with my thumb last year in a solo trip in the wood. this worked for me, bound tight in nettle stem until i got to A&E, got some strange looks :)

Bit of cyanide filled fern should clear that one up nicely lol!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Tell me this isn't the knife you PM'ed me about wanting to buy Dave? Heal well fella, looks exceptionally ouchy.

"Course, when I were a lad.." :lmao:

No mate, different one. [PM'ed you]

OUCH! :yikes:

Hope it heals quick mate!

ATB,
Ste

Cheers Steve.

I had too many painkillers, + whisky, and ended up puking up from 2am to 4am..... but at least my finger didnt hurt.

Not the best day yesterday, all things considered...

Not looking forward to pulling off the dressing either. I bet its stuck to it. Ouch....:aargh4:

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
'bound tight in nettle stem' can you not see the nettle stem? :)

Nettle? Looks like a fern.

If you are determined not to let a medic take a look, I suppose you could dribble some superglue on it
(this is like starting the campag vs shimano debate on a cycling forum, or 9mm vs 45 on any american website).

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hier mate, its not too bad tbh. It was painful yesterday. [My head feels rough today though, from the whisky and mixing painkillers....]

I cut a finger off a marigold, and covered the dressing with it, so I can get a shower and wash etc....

I'll redress it tommorrow I think. How did yours turn out? At least I wasnt in the woods when it happened.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
is the severed bit going to take you think? looking at the pic it must have been close to the bone :/

Hier mate, its not too bad tbh. It was painful yesterday. [My head feels rough today though, from the whisky and mixing painkillers....]

I cut a finger off a marigold, and covered the dressing with it, so I can get a shower and wash etc....

I'll redress it tommorrow I think. How did yours turn out? At least I wasnt in the woods when it happened.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
is the severed bit going to take you think? looking at the pic it must have been close to the bone :/

Dog had the severed bit.....[only kiddin] I binned it. It was just like a pork rind to touch.
Anyhows, Ive just redressed it. Dipped it in some dettol and water for a few minutes, theres a thin film over the bare flesh, which must be the flour.
[It cant be scabbing up already?Using the flour as a poultice worked well]
And found some posh PVP-I non adherent dressing called Inadine, which is great. [District nurse must have left me it, last year when i stabbed myself by accident.]
Like a gold mesh, soaked in some sort of antiseptic, which just folds over the wound, but wont stick to it. And then I put on another marigold finger and got another freezing cold shower. How hot is it today! Its like an oven in my house! I feel sorry for the dog hes got a double thick winter coat on.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Dog had the severed bit.....[only kiddin] I binned it. It was just like a pork rind to touch.
Anyhows, Ive just redressed it. Dipped it in some dettol and water for a few minutes, theres a thin film over the bare flesh, which must be the flour.
[It cant be scabbing up already?Using the flour as a poultice worked well]
And found some posh PVP-I non adherent dressing called Inadine, which is great. [District nurse must have left me it, last year when i stabbed myself by accident.]
Like a gold mesh, soaked in some sort of antiseptic, which just folds over the wound, but wont stick to it. And then I put on another marigold finger and got another freezing cold shower. How hot is it today! Its like an oven in my house! I feel sorry for the dog hes got a double thick winter coat on.
Inadine dressing pads are brilliant should keep it nicely infection free! Povidone iodine will have stung like hell though I imagine. It could well be scabbing up already though in fairness. Inadine has a tendency to dry out if it's been on a few days and then they can stick but just flush a little saline solution over it and it'll peel off no bother.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im yet to damage anyone else Steve so you should be ok. :D

I suppose I am rather accident prone. I ended up in the medical centre, in Jokkmokk,in February, after slicing my thumb open whilst snaring, which swelled up like a balloon, and my whole hand became infected. Puss splitting open my fingers and minor frostbite. [Little white frozen spots of skin]

Now that was painful! Definitely lost my sense of humour by the last day. Couldnt zip up my own bags or anything.

attachment.php

Nice swedish nurses and doctors though. :) But I think a lot of people come back from a trip like that, with some sort of injury. I know one of the mods on here, went into a tree on his snowmobile, over the handle bars, face first into the tree, and had to be choppered out.........

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Inadine dressing pads are brilliant should keep it nicely infection free! Povidone iodine will have stung like hell though I imagine. It could well be scabbing up already though in fairness. Inadine has a tendency to dry out if it's been on a few days and then they can stick but just flush a little saline solution over it and it'll peel off no bother.

Good to know thanks Mick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE