Punkwood tinder bundle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Anybody else use this method ? I usually place a bowdrill ember into middle off a small pile off punkwood punkwood catches n glows very easily I just build my fire on top off the punkwood bowl using birch bark as a catlylist .

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have done. Also used charred punk wood for catching sparks from flint and steel, but usually find that punk wood holds moisture for longer than the barks and grasses used for tinder. Very much depends on location, season, weather.

Have you looked into Rich59's damp tinder method?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make tinder bundles. They're a mix, but there's always something that I can work on, something that will hold the heat, something that will feed that and something that will let me hold it to blow and carry it into flame.
It's a tidy wee packet and easy to keep in a pocket. It's just dry stuff put together when it's at hand.

Where I live it's not just damp, it's often sodden, so dry stuff is at a premium.

Original old thread.

1698773053346.png

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Have done. Also used charred punk wood for catching sparks from flint and steel, but usually find that punk wood holds moisture for longer than the barks and grasses used for tinder. Very much depends on location, season, weather.

Another great tinder bundle is moss even damp it's absorbent properties means it dries very fast like a sponge it's naturally fluffy needs no buffing up ,and catches the ember very well. It burns out quickly though ,so needs fast catching things like silver birch added on top to get fire going fully dried moss flames up n blackens very fast indeed.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I make tinder bundles. They're a mix, but there's always something that I can work on, something that will hold the heat, something that will feed that and something that will let me hold it to blow and carry it into flame.
It's a tidy wee packet and easy to keep in a pocket. It's just dry stuff put together when it's at hand.

Where I live it's not just damp, it's often sodden, so dry stuff is at a premium.

Original old thread.

View attachment 83255
Nice cordage what plant u using?

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

No how does rich59 method work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Literally using damp leaves. I watched him do it years ago, and was frankly astonished that it worked. It worked well too.

This is the link to his original thread on the forum. It's a long read, but it's interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: Poacherman

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Thanks Mary!
Obviously, one does not actually have to use damp leaves! It is more about proving that there is a technique that will give success even with decidedly sub-optimal materials.
Another great tinder bundle is moss even damp it's absorbent properties means it dries very fast like a sponge it's naturally fluffy needs no buffing up ,and catches the ember very well. It burns out quickly though ,so needs fast catching things like silver birch added on top to get fire going fully dried moss flames up n blackens very fast indeed.
Moss....depends on the kind, but yeah, found out how well it can burn the hard (stupid) way. Spring lawn moss raking, got great piles of the stuff all over the lawn, it had been dry a while, but it was still pale green. It felt fluffy and dry to touch and wondered if it would burn much. I put a light to a big handful and it was a bit like the fools that experiment with gasoline, in very short order I had several clumps on fire. Not big flames, but persistent and easily spread. Took weeks for the grass to recover from getting singed!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He picked up a handful of leaves, and they were damp, and he crumbled them. He said that was the ...forgotten the word he used...but basically it need to crumble, it didn't work with them whole or not crumble-able, and he used it as tinder and he made fire just as quickly as we did using dry carefully picked over stuff.
It was impressive :D

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
……… again I am writing from a very broad and long standing lack of bushcraft experience. My apologies for any heresy.

I use a ferrocerium rod and my usual tinder is cotton wool balls or tumble dryer fluff (cotton). At one time I would collect ragwort seeds.

However:
I have noticed that some leaves - oak and beech particularly, become partially skeletal as they rot. Even if they are damp it takes very little heat from the spark to dry a filament of the vein and set fire to it - ok - so maybe a few attempts.

Once fired and if you are lucky the flame progressively dries and burns the rest of the damp (but not wet!) leaf and you are away. It’s an interesting exercise but I’ll stick with my cotton wool balls.

Edited to add. Cotton wool is compact and very portable but this thread has triggered a thought. Has anyone fired a teased out cotton rope end? That would be a totally portable and forgettable tinder bundle. I’ll try that.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Edited to add. Cotton wool is compact and very portable but this thread has triggered a thought. Has anyone fired a teased out cotton rope end? That would be a totally portable and forgettable tinder bundle. I’ll try that.
Yes. Charred cotton rope in a brass tube, catch light from cooler spark from flint and steel, can be transfered to coal extender tinder. Rope can be extinguished by pulling it back into the tube.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice cordage what plant u using?

Whatever comes to hand. Off the top of my head that lot had lime bast (the white-ish stuff), and iris leaves. It was iris leaves left over from making a basket, iirc.
It grows in my garden and it's a decent source of at hand material to play around with.

M

Reactions: Poacherman

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@C_Claycomb
Thank you. That is going into the bottom section of my rucksack.

(Could we do with a “thank you” emoji alongside “like” and ‘laugh”.)

Reactions: Toddy

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Yes. Charred cotton rope in a brass tube, catch light from cooler spark from flint and steel, can be transfered to coal extender tinder. Rope can be extinguished by pulling it back into the tube.
I used to have a sailors lighter interesting things.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Toddy
Serious question: What does the Vaseline do above the plain cotton wool?
I just fire up cotton wool or a paper hanky and sprinkle flakes of wood over it together with a bit of birch bark if I’ve got any. I’m a coffee drinker using a Kelly Kettle so starting a fire is serious.
IMG_4693.jpegIMG_4893.jpeg

I can see the tradition in making the punkwood packets.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The vaseline burns, and since it's runny it binds onto whatever tinder you're using.
It's not a flash and gone like plain paper or cotton can be. It helps sustain the flame....think candle wick pulling wax rather than just the wick burning and disappearing into ash.

Reactions: Ozmundo and Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE