just got dutch oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mate when I'm straight I'll post you a load of recipies... kwyboard is causing me probs at the mo.

Welcome to the Dutchy club though.

TTFN
GB.

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
Didn't you get any seasoning instructions with it Paul? They usualy supply them from Ronnies.

Scrub it out very very throughly to remove the current covering then follow British Reds excellent tutorial on seasoning cast iron

No, I was surprised there wasn't any :(

Do I need to get the black coating off completely then? The oven was in a box marked armytents.co.uk I thought Ronnies all had the logo etc on them.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Give it a good wash with hot soapy water then heat it to warm and dry it in the oven , using veg oil give it a lite oil all over and heat to the max in your oven for about an hour , re-oil and repeat about three times ..done
dont use any soap after that use water and wipe , re-oil with veg oil after use .
Twodogs

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Well the first time I used my Dutch oven I invited the out-laws around to try my special bread pudding. I Thought I could apply my cooking talents to the dutch oven easy enough.

Anyhow.. I made the mixture up took about 2 hours to prepare and stand put tin foil in the pre-seasoned dutch oven and baked it for about 1.5 hours ..

Looked brilliant so I left it standing on the kitchen side and carried on cooking saugaesgs and chicken.,

We had the main course then I went to dish up the bread pudding and I noticed a smell so I took a small piece to taste and was almost instantly sick! the taste was terrible..

So.. my advise to anybody that buys a pre-seasond dutch oven is scrub it well and season it yourself!! before you first use!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
send ronie sunshines a email saying you didnt get any thing saying how to look after your pot iam sure they should come with instuctions?
ive just had a jordie stew , beef ,veg,dumplins,, its jordie because you use a bottle of newcastle brown ale for the stock lol mine was done in a slow cooker but would be even beter in the dutch

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
send ronie sunshines a email saying you didnt get any thing saying how to look after your pot iam sure they should come with instuctions?
ive just had a jordie stew , beef ,veg,dumplins,, its jordie because you use a bottle of newcastle brown ale for the stock lol mine was done in a slow cooker but would be even beter in the dutch

Sent an email the other day but no reply yet.

brumstar123

Forager
Dec 17, 2009
new forest
Im getting a ronnies full cast iron set for chrimbo this year off my parents, im glad i read this thread otherwise i would have been poisoning my whole family at the new years garden party!

Great link by the way, the tutorial makes it all very clear. :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
look out for cowboy flavor on sky chanel 279 horse and country its good to watch to get see dutch in practical use.

Dec 24, 2009
in the woods
Ditch Oven Bread to go with my Pheasant casserole

100_5426.jpg

100_5386.jpg

100_5393.jpg

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Well I was given a lovely 14" dia GSI dutchie
for christmas this year by goatboy
been using his 12" version on trips away
for a couple of years now.
Cheers GB
scott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE