Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I wish I could be so sure, but being busy rebuilding my and my family's life and existance from scratch..... it's a bit unsure...:rolleyes:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If I can get away my goal would be to (a) meet some interesting people, (c) visit the market and (b) get some time out in the bush. Personally I'd be in favour of some travel, either on skis or snowshoes.

I may be able to bring some skis to lend, not having to get stuff on an airplane. Sensible ski bindings, so no need for actual ski boots. :)

udamiano

On a new journey
I've never learned to ski so that could be interesting.
And possibly one of the most photographed events in the whole trip :cool:. seriously its loads of fun once you got your stance right, gravity does most of the work. I still go twice a year to Austria skiing. Nordic skiing is a real burn on the old legs and thighs, especially uphill. i was considering bringing my skis with me, Ill see what the cost finely works out to first

forestwalker

And possibly one of the most photographed events in the whole trip :cool:.
Wayland: we promise not to giggle... Or at least I promisteto make anyone giggling too loudly try it themselves. I've been out with total novices -- a load of Belgians on a survial course -- under field conditions (deep powder, big backpacks: about as un-ideal conditions as they get), and it really brought home the point that it does take practice, and time to learn the basics. If we were nasty we'd make you try a lappkast with my 2.4 m long Tegsnäs skis. yes, it is possible, and surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it. And the technique is handy even with snowshoes (hint: no skipoles with snowshoes unless mountaineering, lift it up, "flip" it around and put it down, then following with the other leg, works wonderfully with my 1.5 m long Ojibway snowshoes).
seriously its loads of fun once you got your stance right, gravity does most of the work. I still go twice a year to Austria skiing. Nordic skiing is a real burn on the old legs and thighs, especially uphill. i was considering bringing my skis with me, Ill see what the cost finely works out to first
Cross country in deep snow is not quite the same as downhill, but you already know that. I can probably bring two pairs of skis (army skis with Olskogen binding, Tegsnäs with their Epok binding) as well as my Ojibway snowshoes. And we can make Roycraft style snowshoes!

forestwalker

I've never learned to ski so that could be interesting.
Simple hints: keep track of your balance (no way to quickly sidestep if you overbalance...), get a good rythm of arms and legs, try to "slide-step" with the legs and push with the poles, all the fancy stuff you see in the World championships and Olympics is only remotely the same. And you can't back up unless you *really* know what you are doing (you have to flip the back of the ski up over the snow, of you will dig it in and most likely loose your balance).

Oct 9, 2010
Sweden
Better prepare well if you guys are going to sleep outside during Jokkmokks Marknad! It's something for highly skilled people looking for more challenges. Most people I know who are outdoorsy types here above the arctic circle in Sweden stay in cabins if they sleep in the woods at all during this time.

There are a lot of details to think about, and pretty high gear requirements I'd say (compared to say 0 degrees). Every small incident can go very bad in the extreme cold, even if it's something trivial. Do not count on cars, snowmobiles, cell phones or one pair of ski-straps to work if there's a real dip in temperature. Most vehicles and materials work in -30C in my experience, its -40 to -45 that really gets them.

One of the first time I almost died was when both my snowmobile and my skis broke down, only 6 km from home, on a sunny march day with -10C. Crawling/swimming on top of your skis in 200 cm snow is not that much fun even if you like a challenge...

All that pessimistic talk aside, winter camping is awesome and it feels great to pull it off without loosing any part of your body to frostbite. Go for it, but plan carefully!

udamiano

On a new journey
Just a little bump on this folks, After a exchange of emails with our contact in Jokkmokk, He has been in contact with a friend just outside of the town, who is willing to supply suitable heated tents, and provide facilities for the group. Prices will of course depend on the amount of people intending to go , and ideally would great if we could get an interim number sorted by August 2012.
I'm having to wait for conformation on the prices of Train tickets, as its a bit early for next years price lists to be published.

Anyway some more images to inspire

19392_242101.jpg

110203-KRPR-Jokkmokk-renrajd-Foto-Fredrik-Sandberg-Scanpix_507x340.jpg
45171_278992.jpg

This is looking to be a great adventure

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
If I have the time I would like to come to Jokkmokk and met you guys. I'm also thinking about the posibility to meet you guys in Stockholm and be your own personal guide since i'm going to work and live one month in Stockholm this summer. But time will tell if i have the time, and the money to do it.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I would love to go to the Jokkmokk market. My goals would be similar to those stated by Forestwalker. I would like to visit the market and either before or after that do some trekking or daytrips on skis with a pulk. My experience is mainly ski mountaineering/alpine ski touring (ie walking up the mountain with skis and skins and then skiing down) but have done a little 'regular' nordic skiing.

If we can sort out the outline of the plan, I can commit to going. My brother in law is also keen on coming. He trekked through Lapland with a dogsled before but has limited skiing experience.

Any local knowledge on the daylight hours in early February?

udamiano

On a new journey
Hi Ducky,

As far as Im aware, the daylight hours for that areas is about 4 hours, although its on the edge between the winter sun and the longer days, so by the market week it could be about 4-6, although I will check this.

If you have a read through the thread, I've posted the general outline, based in what Wayland and myself have worked out, but in a nutshell, the general plan is to get an overnight train from Stockholm (a 2 day stay in Stockholm to visit the Museums) the week before the market, We have a local contact, who is willing to put us up in nice heated tents on a very private site 2KM outside the town, I need to get a confirmation of numbers to him by the end of July, and then he will give me a price. the more the merrier, the cheaper it will be :)

would love to see you there mate

Da

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Udamiano,

Thanks for the info. Useable daylight hours will be relevant if we want to do a spot of trekking. The timetables that you can find online are too rough I feel. What is it like in the period before and after sunrise? Does useable light extend before and after the 4-6 hours listed daylight? Would be great to have that kind of local knowledge.

Would the plan be to go up to Jokkmokk a week before the market or go to Stockholm a week before the market and first visit the museums? Other than visiting the market, my goal would be to be out (and about) as much as possible. The idea of a basecamp near the market sounds excellent!

If I recall correctly it was bone chilling cold this year so plan B should be to stay close together and huddle like pinguins :)

Lennart

udamiano

On a new journey
For myself the plan is;

Arrive Stockholm round about Jan 25th and spend one to two days having a look around all the Museums and such.
27th-28th - Take the overnight train North to Jokkmokk (1 change and a Bus to final destination)
29th onwards - have a real good explore of the surrounding area (two national parks) and see the northern tribes start to gather for the Marknad.
Market week - enjoy myself immensely, during which time I intend to make my bank manger really sad LOL, and meet as many interesting people as possible.

From what I understand, with the snow the pre-dawn is quite bright. depending on the Suns arc, it would probably not be truly dark for a few hours after official sunset, again Ill get in touch with Kevin and ask him.

hope that helps

Last edited:

udamiano

On a new journey
tbh, the dates are really flexible, Ill probably be in Stockholm a day or two before everyone else, just to pinpoint resources, and locations, and such; that way when everyone else arrives there is no wasted time having to go and find the stuff that people want to do, and can people a hand with kit. My plan is still to go over, at the end of July for a nice little city trip with Higher management as a treat for passing her exam (cough, cough :rolleyes::cool:, nothing to do with a reccy :27:) while I'm there i can pick up timetables and such.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE