Jokkmokk - Sub Zero Trip - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Given the developments here, it is very likely that I will not be able to attend. Therefor I am stepping back. Hope you guys have a great trip!!

udamiano

On a new journey
Ok :), thanks for the info gentlemen, Id rather have people say they can't make it, then later be able too, than the other way if that makes sense. I can always re-negotiate prices if we get better numbers.

If I can convince my brother in law that we won't be in constant darkness (he is worried about the limited amount of daylight hours)

IIRC its about 5-6 hours during the time we will be there, plenty of daylight to do stuff, and it doesn't really get that dark, the snow will reflect any light for hours after sunset, especially near the towns. although it does get very dark away from the town if you decide to go off into the wilds.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Had a meeting with my brother in law tonight and it is settled, we are going!

We will probably spend two days at the market. We would like to camp nearby so anything that can be arranged would be much appreciated. From there on we would like to go and camp 'in the wild' for a couple of days. Anybody have any idea how we can find a Swedish mister Knut (the guy who let us make a camp in his backyard on our Norwegian adventure)? I have no problems with paying someone x amount for letting us use his grounds if we can cut some wood and make a natural shelter if conditions allow.

Looking forward to it!

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Any update on the plans guys? We are thinking of booking our flights. Would be nice to know the plans from those that are going so we can arrange a get together.

Regards,

Lennart

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I may be able to pop over for the week of the Saami market. Looking at prices I can get a flight for £126 return and train for £52 return... Now have to check my work rotas

udamiano

On a new journey
Any update on the plans guys? We are thinking of booking our flights. Would be nice to know the plans from those that are going so we can arrange a get together.

Regards,

Lennart

Hi ducky, yes mate, will be updating sometime this week. been onsite since Friday and only just return today and read your post.

@ MDave;

Sounds great, Was going over final bits and bobs with Wayland over the weekend, as far as dates, accommodation,transfers, and train times and costs. Sio will PM you this week along with the other folks who have expressed and interest in going.

Da

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Bump for travel plans ;)
I want to make the reservations before the end of the month. Is the train from Stockholm to Murjek definately the way to go? Anybody made a reservation yet? Don't know if it is going to get busy because of the winter market. If there are enough of us to book a 'private' berth that could be good.

I have started te get ready. Got myself a synthetic overbag for my down sleepingbag so should be good down to -40. I have learnt last trip that lugging around 40+ kilograms in the snow is not funny. I joined the pulka gang :D

udamiano

On a new journey
Sorry mate, up to my ears at the moment. Not booked anything, but the local campsite emailed me yesterday to see if we want a cabin, so this kind of makes me think that numbers may not be up for them. Im phoning Swedish Rail tomorrow to find out the prices for a complete birth, and to see if we can get any discounts, at the moment there is about 5/6 of us going, whereas the magic number is usually 10 for discounts and such. Im still looking at a private site just outside the town and in negotiations on cost atm, but probably looking around the 400-500 SK a night, but i'm working on a better price. As the trains go, the location for us will depend on the seasonal weather, and if the line is open all the way up, during the summer you can get directly into Jokkmokk via rail, but during the winter...
Im looking to be booking flights by the end of the month, and campsites deposits also, so aleast we've got a confirmed place to stay. The rail bit might be a bit later as i'm working on routes and connections.

Looking to be in Stockholm on 26th January,

2 Days in Stockholm 26-28th

28th Train north

Back in Stockholm either the 9 or 10th February
Back in Manchester 10th February.

So far the cheapest flights i've found are about £125 return from Manchester
Rail, about 4000+SK for a group berth

If Anyone in Stockholm fancies popping into the rail station for me, and seeing there is any deals going and PM me I would bring a bottle of something nice over for them :cool:

Da

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The stuga's at the skabram campsite were already fully booked for months, so at least a bunch of people are coming :)

Looking forward to going out. We are planning to visit the market first and then stay for a couple of days more (total ~10 days). I see you are finishing at the market, so traveling together is probably not on, but some place to meet up at the market and have a brew would be nice.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
From the Netherlands it appears quite economical to get a flight to Lulea with SAS or Norwegian, which leaves about 180 km to go to Jokkmokk. Any reason why I should not do that? Could there be potential problems getting to Jokkmokk from Lulea if there is a lot of snow?

I'm just checking whether this is a viable alternative to the sleepertrain from Stockholm.

udamiano

On a new journey
As far as i know Swedish rail pretty much runs whatever the weather, although they do have slight variations in how far north during the dead of winter, as I understand it, they provide a coach service for the final leg of the journey, Im calling them back this afternoon to ask, as yesterday they couldn't confirm 100%

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Thanks Udamiano!

I'm working on adding a fur muff that I got from a flee market to my arctic smock. The smock has a hand warmer pocket in the front and I thought lining it with fur would be a good idea for when it gets really cold or when you want to have a hand warming break during an activity that requires you to take your mittens off. Muffs seem to be mainly a feminine thing, but they seem to make sense as a cold weather accessory, even for men, right? ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE