Joe O'Leary's new book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just a blatant plug for Joe who has a book coming out soon. I haven't seen it but Joe, from Wilderness Survival Skills, spoke about it to me when I was on his Wilderness Awakening course last year that was a prize here on these very forums. He has a massive library of old 80's survival manuals so hopefully knows what to avoid in the book!
lmao.gif
Some of the stuff in those old books is comical, but hopefully Joe has got it right.

So,get it on your wish list for Christmas! And good luck with the book, Joe!
xyxthumbs.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilderness-S...3421520&sr=1-1

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'll keep an eye out for it but, my question would be, what makes this book different from all the others that are out there? I don't mean this in a negative way, what I mean is does it bring anything new to the table in the way it's written or the skills it presents? I'd be keen to see an objective review of the book or even some words from the man himself.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Mikey P,

Just found this thread - thanks Nat!

This all seems a bit self indulgent so I won't make this too much of a lengthy reply. Having been a member of this forum (although not a particularly active one) for the last few years and met with many BCUK members at shows, fairs and on courses I must point out that this book is not necessarily aimed at them. I was originally approached to write several small survival pamphlets, which then grew into a book at the publishers request. Not being somebody to turn down such a rare opportunity I grasped it with both hands and am pretty pleased with the result.

My main source of inspiration came from the books I virtually absorbed in my formative years, such as Lofty's handbook and Rays first ever book he wrote in his 20's. Therefore I have aimed mine at someone who already has a keen interest in the outdoors and a hunger to learn more. Similar to myself in the mid 1980's I suppose. There are bound to be similarities (trapping for example - there are only so many ways to skin a cat!) but my own experiences using and experimenting with survival techniques coupled with the last eight years as in instructor passing on these skills to course attendees, means that I have evolved my own style.

The book concentrates mainly on what I consider to be 'universal' techniques. Principles that I have found can be applied to different environments rather than environment specific. They are also techniques that I know intimately and have been able to explain in fine detail. This book is not a typical coffee table job, oozing with colour pics but skimpy on the descriptions. It has an 'old school' feel to it with hand drawn, black and white illustrations (courtesy of Kev Palmer - thanks Kev) meaning that each skill is described and explained well, and is easy for the novice to understand.

The foraging and wild meat chapters are fairly unique in that I explore the realities of living from the land and look at food types in order of priority rather than concentrating on specific plants for specific environments and what looks pretty or tastes nice (plenty of brilliant books out there for that). The chapter on kit and survival kits looks into what is really useful and likely to be used and what amounts to unnecessary ballast. There's also advice on mental preparation and how to conduct yourself responsibly and safely in the wilds, on your own or part of a group.

Having said all that, I don't feel that the book is 'preachy' at all. I offer advice only, based on my own findings. Basically, I have written as I like to teach - in an informal and relaxed manner but always with a underlying serious message.

I'm looking forward to an honest appraisal (nervously). This is my first foray into the world of writing, other than a few magazine articles and my own website and it's definitely not something I ever imagined myself doing (certainly not as I pedaled rapidly out of the school gates four hours before the bell, and up onto the South Downs for the 100th time - who needs GCSE's anyway?...)

One thing I have learned along the way is that 304 pages is nowhere near enough to get down everything I would like to see in a book. I'm waiting to see how this one is received first but already have plans brewing for an ultimate bushcraft book that will get seasoned BCUK'ers drooling. You'll have to wait and see on that one though...

Hope you enjoy 'The Wilderness Survival Guide' if you decide to buy it!

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The foraging and wild meat chapters are fairly unique in that I explore the realities of living from the land and look at food types in order of priority rather than concentrating on specific plants for specific environments and what looks pretty or tastes nice (plenty of brilliant books out there for that). The chapter on kit and survival kits looks into what is really useful and likely to be used and what amounts to unnecessary ballast. There's also advice on mental preparation and how to conduct yourself responsibly and safely in the wilds, on your own or part of a group.

Having been on one of Joe's Courses , I think this book should be well worth getting , I appreciate that it may have been written 'to spec' to hit a certain demographic and knowledge group but i'm hoping that it contains plenty of Joes practical 'hand-on' knowledge.

I'm looking forward to getting a copy. Nice One Joe.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good, eminently practical :cool:

Best of luck with the book Joe :D

cheers,
Toddy, who's just added it to her Xmas list :)

Last edited:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
No worries Joe, i was pointed at by a friend elsewhere because it would peak my interest.
Already ordered it from Amazon and looking forward to reading it.

Good luck with it Joe, will let you what i think when i've read it :D

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have have seen Joes book!
I looks really well thought out, easy to read and stays on track giving the info you need without the padding that some need. Its nod layed out as a survival manual either. My first reaction when I saw it was - this is what Tom Browns survival books COULD be.
Enjoy!
N

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Dropped onto the doormat this morning , will be taking it to Morocco with me for a good old read.
So far ,Lots more text and smaller sketches as opposed to large uneducational colourful plates which I think is a good thing . good size too, easy to leave in a jacket pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE