It's time to collect pollen from the reedmaces :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been keeping an eye on the reedmace (I think mine is typha angustifolia....it's like a slimmer shorter version of the big 'bullrush' type reedmace) in the pond in the back garden.
This hot spell has really brought it on, and the heads are full of pollen :D

The pollen is nutritious, very protein rich, falls off like gold coloured flour and is a good addition to bannocks, etc.,

It's easy to gather, just bend the head gently into a paper or poly bag and rattle it around a little. The pollen falls into the bag, the head bounces back up again and will still produce more pollen the next day too :cool:

I have a full sized reedmace growing in a tiny pond in the front garden and it too gives masses of pollen.
Both plants will happily grow in a bucket so long as the water doesn't get too rancid, or dry out, and they get enough sunlight.
Both plants are also absolutely excellent for basketry and cordage :)

I have photos, and I will get them downloaded and posted, but with the weekend coming....if you're out and about, keep an eye open for the pollen :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know ? I never gave that a thought. Sorry, I really should have :eek:
As pollen goes it's pretty hefty and seems to really only travel near it's own kind, iimmc.

The only other pollen I know of that drops in such huge quantities is pine. HWMBLT said that it looked like smoke from the trees last year. I know he brought me home a lunchbox full that he said had taken a few minutes to gather.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pollen rich reedmace head, 25/7/14

14557888687_167a1868af_z.jpg

and this is the pollen inside the bag....it's a beautiful golden yellow :) and there'll be more tomorrow and probably for a couple more days from my small clump.

14744063552_5f731b40eb_z.jpg

atb,
M

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Very interesting, I've never seen that variety before- I could imagine it being a very useful plant to have around :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE