Issue 3/4 self inflating mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have, they're good and comfy- but not hardwearing. I have a mountain equipment Helios 3.5- good mat, insulates well, it's nice and small and light by my standards. I did have another one, a North ridge- that was bad. The hot fat from bacon in a frying pan put a hole in it on its first outing and that's was that, no repairs held. I still use the Helios from time to time but this is all a few years back, I'm a traditional camper to the core now!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I have, they're good and comfy- but not hardwearing. I have a mountain equipment Helios 3.5- good mat, insulates well, it's nice and small and light by my standards. I did have another one, a North ridge- that was bad. The hot fat from bacon in a frying pan put a hole in it on its first outing and that's was that, no repairs held. I still use the Helios from time to time but this is all a few years back, I'm a traditional camper to the core now!
brill, cheers

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My son was home on leave at the beginning of may, & he had one in his pack, he said he was very happy with it.

Rob

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have an army one. To be fair I use it on top on my ultra thin folding German mat rather than on its own (the ones that fold up square). They are good mats but if you are on the bigger size like me you might prefer something thicker. I have mine as part of my backpacking kit but that set up is getting more conceptual as the years go by as I don't seem to get much past base camps these days due to my reluctance to give up my comforts.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't think they hold a candle to a CCF mat and that's if they held air. Mine has gone porous and won't stay inflated.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I got an issue 3/4 sim mat from the classifieds on here. I use it inside a bivi bag with a foam rollmat outside on the ground. I'm chuffed with it & had no problems to date.

Last edited:
If you are asking are 3/4 mats good, I use mine all the time as I prefer the smaller size and I can always seem to find something to put under my legs.

As for the 'self inflating' part - a few of my mates have used them and they always seem to end up blowing them up themselves.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Gray, I've used the issued mat down to -5 for weeks on end, they are very good.

Seen a few damaged in the heat, I don't think they like being in shipping containers at 60C?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Gray, I have one mate and love it. I'm a well built guy and had no real problems with compression or deflation.
Will bring it to the next meet if your there and you can have a look over it.

Aug 1, 2012
Lancashire
I've used mine a lot for kipping on the metal floors of C-17s and Hercs, using a jungle bag. Never had a chill despite the ice sticking me to the metal bits between the non-slip.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Bluffer;1529277]Ice inside the aircraft?

Never seen that before?[/QUOTE]

Condensation. Unpressurised aircraft. Unheated or poorly heated rear bay. You get contact ice inside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE