Islay Journeyman Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luxor1

May 23, 2005
exeter
i have recently returned from a journeyman course.
and i thought some of you might be interested in how i got on.
the course is run by jeremy of islay birding and bushcraft on the 250 sq mile wild and rugged island of islay.
while not advertised as a bushcraft course as such, there were loads of bushcraft items covered and jeremy was more than happy to teach us any further bushcraft skills we wanted to cover.
a couple of us wanted to learn the art of the bow drill, and under jeremys expert guidance we both managed to achieve our first coal in about 9 minutes.
other topics covered included,
fire lighting, including the use of tinders.
different fire techniques, star fire, long fire etc.
use of different types of water filters.
gutting and cooking of fish.
wild foods, including seaweeds and which types are the best ones to obtain carbohydrates from.
different shellfish and how to cook them.
use of knots.
how to read the weather.
how to long line fish.
map and compass reading.
the list goes on.
the other members of the party were a great bunch.
there were margaret and billy and donald (who is from islay) all of us quite new to bushcraft.

donald was a real genius when it came to improvisation, out of junk washed up on the beach he made a lobster pot, baited with a couple of small fish which he caught, placed in a old rubber glove he also found on the beach.
while lobster didnt end up on the menu, he did manage to catch a crab with it.
we stayed up late sitting around the camp fire most nights and shared many a happy hour just chatting.
donalds tardis ( huge backpack ) was a great source of amusement, he had just about every thing we needed in there except the kitchen sink,
and i bet if he had dug deep enough he would have found one in there.
one of the most interesting things about the journeyman course on islay is the stunning landscape and its huge caves ( some could have accommodated double decker buses in them they were so big)
also amazing to a city guy like me the fact that we walked for 4 days and did not even see a foot print of another person let alone meet anyone.
while quite a strenuous course i noticed that if anyone of us started to flag, jeremy would stop and point out a bird or landmark giving the flagging person time to catch there breath without embarrassing them.
on the last full day we did a beach clean,
its surprising how much junk you get washed up from all over the world on islay

at the end of the course theres a nice hot bath, meal and hotel booked for you.
(all included in the price)

i even got to see my first whale on the ferry back to the mainland. :)
i kept an eye out for some iron pyrite while i was on islay, but no joy,
donald and jeremy between them sorted some out and posted it on to me after i returned home.
now thats what i call service.
thanks a million guys.

if you like the idea of 4 days in a really wild unspoilt landscape then i can thoroughly recommend it.
not only did i learn a lot,
i enjoyed every minute of it.
luxor1

luxor1

May 23, 2005
exeter
if any one can tell me how to down size pictures i have some really good ones taken on islay.
thanks.
luxor1

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-1 said:
Hi mate thought that you would like it up there, glad you had a good time. If you go to the microsoft website you can get an image resizer power toy for windows xp, it is quick and easy to use :D

But he also needs a place to store them Leon :D - BCUK hasn't got a gallery anymore :p :rolleyes: That Microsoft image resizer power toy (cool word) will only take up space on your harddisk and thus makes your pc slower ... and thus it takes ages to get over and surf on BCUK and post those piccies ;)

:p:p:p

luxor1

May 23, 2005
exeter
thank you ahjno and leon-1,
my comp runs on m/e,
would it still work?
it was great, i would do it all over again,
and again,
and again :D
luxor1

leon-1

luxor1 said:
thank you ahjno and leon-1,
my comp runs on m/e,
would it still work?
it was great, i would do it all over again,
and again,
and again :D
luxor1

I am not sure, but probably not, I'll have a look through some of the stuff I have at home here and see what I can come up with, but as Johan has said in the meantime using photobucket would be a good one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE