Island life..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
If the main objective is to save money for your travelling this would be like winning the lottery,and it will also get you used to being out of your "comfort zone" it will also give you any necessary experience for doing casual bar work etc whilst on your travels, if you wish too, and the other thing is,this could be the start of your travels, so just do it!! at least you are in a secure and sound environment whilst you get your travel legs.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Why from so of these later posts do i keep thinking of this?

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/04/the-wicker-man.jpg

Doh!
duh.gif

Beaten to the post...
happy0009.gif

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Just 6 months? Why are you even hesitating? GO!

I'm now 63, made a lot of mistakes, never regretted anything. It's ALL experience for the present and memories for the future.

You may even find that you don't want to leave; you'll never know unless you've tried it.:)

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
I lived, until last year, for almost twenty years on a small Orkney island. Pros...solitude, if you are comfy with that. Unrivalled scenery and wildlife, vast horizons (I get claustrophobic in towns!), natives with...character....
feeling of freedom to simply live, without anyone breathing down your neck if you don`t fit into the so called `norm`...
slower pace of life, the seasons dominated my working and living and it was wonderful.
It makes you hardy in a very old fashioned, pragmatic way.
There are lots of other `pros` but I`d get boring. I never regretted my life on that island.

Cons..because you know there are some... :)
Weather, that`s the worst imo...in winter, we could be cut off from mainland for weeks at a time, which meant no ferry or small interisland (Loganair) plane, which means the small hardware type shops run out of all the basics. So, be wise and stockpile like crazy....no loo roll if you have a dodgy tum and none to come for a week or so is NOT fun, trust me!
Medically...(this should have been in the pros, sorry) I found island response to medical emergencies second to none. This is due to the island plane/helo having you in mainland hospital in under half an hour, or further south to one of the bigger ones in a little over that, even in rough weather. Island doctors also tend to take their time with you and are used to the mishaps, accidents and particular island ailments that can strike, and have that frontier type of attitude which inspires trust (unless, like our old doc who retired a few years ago, he likes a dram, and the time you need him, is found to be sleeping a bender off on the nine hole golf course...)
but seriously, don`t worry about medical needs on the whole.
More cons...like all small communities anywhere, gossips can be rife and if they don`t know a thing about ye, they will make it up. That can be annoying, but develop a thick hide, ignore them and you`ll be fine.
Um...can`t really think of any more cons...the pros outweigh them.
Speaking from hard experience, I can heartily recommend island life, it changes the way you live forever.
Hope this helps. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE