Is there a thread on the different types of wood/biomass stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All

I'm looking to make a small portable biomass/wood stove and I'm sure I've seen a thread/write up on here comparing the different types. I had thought of a small wood gas stove but can you keep them going or do they need refilling each time they use up their fuel? In which case is a hobo or a rocket type stove any better. Which do you prefer and why?

many thanks

Leo

Not sure if there is a thread dedicated to different stoves, but there are many threads about different stoves on here. Honeystove seems to be a fan favorite, but there is also the Firebox, and the emberlit seems to becoming more popular too. Those are all just straight up wood stoves which can also use trangias or other types of fuel in some cases. I have little knowledge about woodgas or rocket stoves. Reason being was simplicity. I got away from white gas stoves like MSR due to tying to get a fool proof system. Too many parts that could fail and result in no stove. With a honeystove and a trangia, there is very little that can go wrong.

But yes, for a woodgas stove, you would have to keep adding fuel, like any type of stove. However, they do burn wood longer and more efficiently.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hi stan, i like you wanted the same thing, to not carry loads of fuel and use what i had efficiently, i have gone with a hobo stove accompanied with a simple meths burner, because you cant always guarantee that you will have fuel from the woods/walk/trek. i use a polish tin with no hole, the push open sort, fill it with fibre glass and cover with a steel mesh (pound shop tea strainer), this acts as a wick for the meths and increases the burn time to just an open tin...

combine this with a wind shield, i dont have one as yet but will make one from an industrial bean tin, and it should work very well and when used as a hobo stove will allow air control to the fuel.

if you need any advise or want a look at my set up give me a pm and we can arrange to meet up, im not in yorkshire any more and im not a million miles away....;)

i also have a steel plate/griddle for doing bread, it works a treat if a little heavy to cary. i also use 4 bolts through the bottom of the strainer when in hobo mode, this helps stop burning the ground but does scorch a little if used for a long time.

some pictures here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110392 i used the chafing fuel as a stove in this case...;)

regards

chris.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm with Lannyman, the simple (Poundstretcher) hobo does it for me. Alcohol as back up, or hexy tabs. I like using hexy tabs with it because I can burn wet wood if really needed.

I've built and used proper woodgas stoves and forges of many types and great as they are in use, the hobo still wins. All my Ti pots sit inside it and I can keep pushing sticks into the hole to save work on cutting them.

On some trips to the mountains, I'll take a little bag of charcoal. I can have a nice long heat giving burn, perfect for cooking over.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Teepee, are hexitabs expensive?

They can be, Aldi comes to the rescue every now and then. TBH for lighting fires, a magic buscuit, fibre and wax blocks or similar are fine as an alternative. You don't actually need them but its just how I like doing it in the mountains. When I'm creamed, I just wanna light it and burn some sticks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE