Is that full tang Mora available yet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Yes, both have sn edge that gets ruined if you try to split a piece of wood and there is a nail in it.
So , hang on... Is there any knife, chisel or plane iron/blade that doesn't?

Can't word this without sounding sarcastic, that's not the intention!

I'm a chippie and I hate getting Knicks on my blades every time I repair or replace doors windows etc.
It seems there's always a hidden nail somewhere waiting to put a ding on your mirror edge tool.

Ive resorted to using cheaper tools for that type of work and my nice ones for nice work, however a blunt tool is a dangerous one , (and a pet hate of mine) I like my tools razor sharp even if not polished.
So i wonder if there's a way of hardening my steels without costing me an arm and a leg...
Hope there is..?
Sorry it's a little off topic

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Leshy, I was being funny, just like Corso a few posts down.
They all dent and chip in an intimate contact with a nail. I find that excessively hardened steels chip, softer, like the oldfashined Moras, get a bent bit.
The alloy that can take a nail does not exist.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Leshy, I was being funny, just like Corso a few posts down.
They all dent and chip in an intimate contact with a nail. I find that excessively hardened steels chip, softer, like the oldfashined Moras, get a bent bit.
The alloy that can take a nail does not exist.
😖 for a moment I thought, "why didn't I think of that?!
Hardening the steel tools further would save so much time honing and sharpening..."

I'm sorry for being naive and not getting your joke 😏

On a positive note, my sharpening skills get better all the time even if not as dedicated as some of my Japanese colleagues.

The Japanese carpenters spend at least an hour sharpening everyday after work finishes... It's a ritual, not religious but definitely spiritual.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The hardest knife edges are on ceramic knives. I bought one kitchen knife, Kyocera ( Made in Japan, not USA) and it was amazingly sharp. For about one week, then I chipped the middle of the blade edge on my work surface when I slipped.
Useless!

I won't be getting one, I still like the 2mm thick clipper type and (preferably) the ones with the wooden barrel handles. Just bought a magenta clipper (or whatever they're calling it now) for swmbo. That being said, making moras with thicker stock was a good idea I think (lots of people won't buy thin knives) and I can understand varying costs and so on...

I haven't tried the wooden ones yet, but I'm very curious as they look quite lovely.

I have tried the original clipper in green, the robust, and a hultafors craftsman.
I think they're all worth the price they command but my favourite by far for heavier tasks is the robust as it doesn't have any lateral play in comparison. Shame the older grey type robust is ugly. For finer tasks I use an opinel no8 or gardening knife. I love them to bits.
I'll be getting the new green 3mm thick one one day. For now I'm content with the set. I keep one of these to hand in case I get a prop foul I need to swiftly slice through on my narrowboat.

Full tang? I'd rather (and have) spend the money on a benchmade folder and a cheap beater knife like an old hickory.

I'd like to see the reviews and how these pan out....

Lots of people have asked Mora to produce a full tang, and now lots of people are sort of complaining now they have. :/ what do I know anyway:p I barely get out!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Me too. I've got a Rasul, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to try it. Still, good to know it's built to last.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wow ! How do you sharpen that ! ?

It's not too difficult. The steel isn't rock hard, otherwise it would chip, it's just extremely tough. A steel nut by comparison is pretty soft. The combination of the tough steel and edge geometry work together to make for a very resilient cutting edge.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It's not too difficult. The steel isn't rock hard, otherwise it would chip, it's just extremely tough. A steel nut by comparison is pretty soft. The combination of the tough steel and edge geometry work together to make for a very resilient cutting edge.
Nice, that's pretty cool

Never knew it existed...
wish they did planer irons and chisels... :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
WOW!
I had no idea there was a tough alloy like that.

A quick search told me it is a Swedish powder steel made by Uddeholm called Vanadis 23.
These things make me a very proud Swede!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE