Is squirrel the perfect austerity dish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I ate squirrel on a foraging course and it was very nice - I preferred it to the bunny we cooked at the same time. We skewered it and roasted it over the fire - nothing fancy but it tasted great if a little chewy. Definitely a sweetish flavour.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Squirrel ranks right at the top as a game food imo. I like it better than rabbit. Old squirrels can be a little tough and gamey tasting but mostly, squirrel is tender and delish when properly prepared. My top fish and game foods in no particular order are: venison backstrap, grouse, squirrel, trout and bluegill. Just my 2 cents. :)

I’m with you on this one too. Had my HW97KT (.22) for just a week and I’ve got 2 squirrels sitting in the freezer. They are both big bucks so need to be done in a stew. I like the liver, kidneys and heart cooked up very soon after despatch. (Butter, cream, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper) Beautiful: Better than anything you’ll purchase in even a good country butchery.

I am very respectful in how I obtain any game and it’s all for the pot and on my land or permission land. And of course I like to think I’m doing my bit to protect our wildlife from the American Greys thieving eggs, chicks, roosting birds, driving Reds and other mammals out etc.....hc

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Just don't tell the tree huggers. It wasnt that long ago a restaurant was picketed by "animal lovers" protesting at the inclusion of tree rats on the menu. no mention was made about the white veal, vennison, beef, lamb etc just up in arms about the vermin from the woods

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i was siting under my tarp the outher day when a treerat was just clinging on to the trunk of a tree i had my .22 next to me and thought shall i but i didnt bother
after reading this iam thinking i should of give it a go.thanks for the post

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I ate squirrel on a foraging course and it was very nice - I preferred it to the bunny we cooked at the same time. We skewered it and roasted it over the fire - nothing fancy but it tasted great if a little chewy. Definitely a sweetish flavour.

Sounds like the Woodsmoke Woodlander or Autumn Harvester….Am I right ? Which one ?

NS

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
apart from chilli, how else can a squiggle be prepared?

A common recipe here in the South is simply quartering it and shallow frying it (after skinning, gutting and cutting off the head and feet of course). Salt and pepper the quarters to taste then dredge them in flour and brown on both sides in a little oil (vegetable oil or pork fat). Remove the squirrel and drain. Add a tablespoon of flour to the oil and brown to make a rouxe then add water or beef/chicken stock to make a gravy. Return the squirrel to the gravy and simmer a few minutes til done. You can add or substitute your own favorite spices before the dredging step. We like Cajun spices. As an option you can add sauted onions and/or mushrooms to the gravy making stage. Serve this dish over rice or with American style biscuits or dumplings. IMHO it's best cooked in a cast iron skillet. Squirrels are small so bear in mind that it takes 2 or 3 to have enough to "stink the gravy" as I once heard a Game Warden call it. Plan on at least 2 quarters per person, possibly more.

Note: If the flour dredging doesn't make a thick enough coating for your taste try soaking the squirrel in buttermilk first This will also tenderize it if you soak for at least 3 hours or overnight)

Last edited:

Ruvio

Nomad
I like them with wild garlic pesto smeared in the cavity, then roasted. Delicious.
Our local butchers had a lot of complaints for hanging them in the window...no-one blinked at the ducks and shanks hanging there though. Ridiculous

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like them with wild garlic pesto smeared in the cavity, then roasted. Delicious.
Our local butchers had a lot of complaints for hanging them in the window...no-one blinked at the ducks and shanks hanging there though. Ridiculous

You gotta admit the hanging carcass looks a lot like somebody's pet though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE