Insect repellent that doesn't eat plastic.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
After being eaten alive this weekend, I realise I need some insect repellent before the next trip. On this trip I scrounged the use of some Jungle Formula, which worked for a while, but when it lost effectiveness in the middle of the night, I was eaten alive.

I also tried some of these Wipes, which worked well and were easier to apply, but again, it lost it's effectiveness during the night.

I would particully like to get an insect repellent that is both effective, *AND* I don't have to worry about it eating things made of plastic, encase I pick up my camera with some on my hands, or get some on my bivvi bag etc...

I've been looking at the Lifesystems Natural spray. Has anyone tried it? is it any good? does it eat plastic?

Thanks

Julia

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Lifesystems spray is excellent. You can literally see the critters fly away when you spray it on. I've never had a problem with it on plastic.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Lifesystems spray is excellent. You can literally see the critters fly away when you spray it on. I've never had a problem with it on plastic.

Is that with the Lifesystems Natural, or one of the lifesystems 50, 100, or expedition plus? (complicated range..)

J

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've used the life systems before, worked ok as did ultrathon, but in Scottish summer mode season in the canoe I took a folding left systems head net, only needed it for the west coast of Scotland, elsewhere a bit of repellent should fend them off.

I'm really liking the look of the stupidly simple products, top stuff by the sounds of it, I'll be giving that a try the next time I need some repellent :).

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I wonder if it is just the alcohol base that most of them seem to have that is bad for plastics etc ? If so, once that evaporates after a few minutes it might not be a problem ?

Can't recall if I read that somewhere or just made it up !!!

Cheers, Paul

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That's the natural. Before that I used the Expedition 50 but found it was overkill for the UK.

Interesting. Definitely putting the Natural on the list.
I'm really liking the look of the stupidly simple products, top stuff by the sounds of it, I'll be giving that a try the next time I need some repellent :).

Me too going to order some. Xylaria, you got yourself a sale!

I wonder if it is just the alcohol base that most of them seem to have that is bad for plastics etc ? If so, once that evaporates after a few minutes it might not be a problem ?

I thought it was the deet that was the plastic eater in the product?

Wikipedia seems to suggest so:

"DEET is an effective solvent,[4] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish."

Thanks

Julia

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England

Cheers, Paul
I suspect not, most plastics are fine with methanol and ethanol but I don't know what they normally use as a solvent for DEETor whether it's the DEET itself. Some essential oils will eat plastic so beware of the natural ones as well as DEET.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Have a look at the Autan range, some contain Icaridin instead of deet, can't say how effective it is, I never remember to take the stuff out with me

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use the Autan, and it's very good. It needs reapplied frequently though when the blighters are really out.
It doesn't dissolve plastic, it doesn't break my skin out in weeping blistery rash and it smells fine too :)

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's usually Wilmas Nordic Summer or the similar stuff Xylaria made, along with a Beatons midge jacket I'm usually golden.

I tried the Avon stuff quite a few years ago and never really rated it, however on a two week car tour up the west coast of Scotland last year it really was very good. I've heard good things about Autan again lately, not sure if they've changed their formula?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A few folk have already mentioned the Stupidly Simple stuff which last year I found to be a boon. Keeping the badboys away while making me smell nice and outdoorsy.

Another product I use (was using solid through midge/cleg/tick season 'till the SS last year) was the Don't Bite Me , they are a dermal patch that floods your system with vitamin B1, you body only uses so much flushing the rest out through your pores making you unpalatable to bity things. Each patch lasts for about 36 hours and isn't affected adversely by sweating or swimming. The downside is that you smell of marmite which I don't like so I've been using the SS more and more.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The patches worked for me, but, and it's a huge but, I ended up with a chemical burn from them :( A neat little rounded square of blisted skin that took ages to heal. Not trying those again.

I tried the Bvitamins. The niacin flush is horrible. My entire body flushed bright red and tingling like onset sunburn :( Not a happy bunny on that stuff, and not doing it again.

Marmite I eat daily, and regardless of that, everything bites me :sigh: so I agree with the trials; for me they don't work.

cheers,
M

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Toddy, do you reckon your pine tar soap helps to deter insects? On a purely anecdotal basis we used to reckon that the old formula Wrights coal tar soap worked quite well but the formula was changed because the coal tar was carcinogenic! Wood smoke is always reckoned to help, and I'm fairly sure that my pine tar soap helps a bit too. I'm one of those horrid people that the insects don't like but Mr Cranmere is an insect target and he swears by pine tar and bog myrtle soap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE