Insect bites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
What does everyone here use to treat any insect bites they get while bushcrafting? I get some pretty impressive reactions to bites and have tried a few antihisthamine creams, but perhaps you can recommend something I haven't come across! :)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I've always been told that steroid creams such as 1% hydrocortisone are more effective then antihistamines for bite victims that suffer a lot of itching and swelling.

Especailly as non-precscpription antihistamine tablets can cause drowseness.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a permanent prescription for anti-histamines for insect bites :( When the itch is unbearable (red hot swellings as thick as a pancake and as big as a saucer are my common reaction to cleg and black fly bites) I take an anti histamine tablet and I use Eurax cream. The package says 'Crotamiton' under the Eurax name.
Hope you never need it, but it works. Just don't 'scrub' it into your skin, but gently soothe it over the edges of the swellings and then slowly over towards the bite site. Supposed to last 10 hours (Hah! Yeah that'll be right!) but it does last for several hours.

Cheers,
Toddy

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
scanker said:
Have you tried one of the piezo electric click things? They seem pretty effective at getting rid of the urge to itch a bit.
Looks interesting - might get myself one of those!
Toddy said:
When the itch is unbearable (red hot swellings as thick as a pancake and as big as a saucer are my common reaction to cleg and black fly bites) I take an anti histamine tablet and I use Eurax cream.
Sounds like the reaction I get to every insect bite! :eek: Sadly Eurax has never worked for me. :( Thanks though, and thanks to everyone else's suggestions!

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I got midged whilst I was out gardening the other day and they got me good and proper (I forgot to eat my marmite as well). My ankles are covered and was driving me potty, untill I was given a tube of Anthisan cream by one of the old dears I bumped into when going to the village shop. It seems to have done the trick really well, I was getting in a bit of a state when wearing socks and shoes etc (rubbing like mad) but it seems to have calmed right down to the point of vanishing now. I think you can get the cream from boots or your local pharmacist.

I use the leaves of Greater Plantain (Plantago major0 rubbed on the bite or sting......gives almost instant relief :cool: It also staunches blood-flow when applied to cuts :D (and it works ;) )

i would suggest that you test on your skin before you need though, just incase you have a reaction :eek:

Attachments

• greater plantain.jpg
    greater plantain.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 123

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Toddy said:
I've got a permanent prescription for anti-histamines for insect bites :( When the itch is unbearable (red hot swellings as thick as a pancake and as big as a saucer are my common reaction to cleg and black fly bites) I take an anti histamine tablet and I use Eurax cream. The package says 'Crotamiton' under the Eurax name.
Hope you never need it, but it works. Just don't 'scrub' it into your skin, but gently soothe it over the edges of the swellings and then slowly over towards the bite site. Supposed to last 10 hours (Hah! Yeah that'll be right!) but it does last for several hours.

Cheers,
Toddy

SWMBO gets that sort of reaction.Anthisan works for her.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I can reccomend the piezo clicker I have used one for a while, they do stop the itch but if it is a serious reaction anti histamine is more effective.
Boots do the clickers for about three quid.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Somone mentioned hydrocortisone cream. Yes they are great for skin allergies, my gilrfriend uses it for ther guinea pig allergies, but can cause problems with sustained useage. I uae antihistamine tabs such as piriton for my skin reactions. Works fine!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spacemonkey said:
Somone mentioned hydrocortisone cream. Yes they are great for skin allergies, my gilrfriend uses it for ther guinea pig allergies, but can cause problems with sustained useage. I uae antihistamine tabs such as piriton for my skin reactions. Works fine!

I use the anithistamines but it doesn't stop the horrendous itch; indeed as the re-action starts to subside I think the itch gets worse as the fluid drains and the damaged/swollen tissues start to repair. I've actually found myself taking a nail brush to my skin to ease the itch :eek: .
I don't like using the cream, I do worry about long term use, but I've found no other substance that gives me peace. If I don't use it I wake up in the morning covered in scratches and blood, from scraping at my skin in the night. :(
Chestnut bark steeped in witch hazel does give some relief but it doesn't last.
Any other suggestions gratefully received. Thanks for the plantain tip Fenlander, I'll try that one too.

Toddy

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Toddy,

If your body is releasing that much histimine you are well and truely allergic to insect bites! :(

I would recommend, although your GP would be the best person to talk to, a mixture of Antihistimine Prescription tablets (Prescription tablets can be a lot stronger and also tend to not have the side effects of causing you to be drowsey) and either a 1% or 2.5% topical-steriod cream or ointment which will help suppress the inflammation and itchyness while the antihistimine tablets will counter-act the release of histimine protein.

But as SpaceMonkey says the hydrocortisone or other topical-steriod cream can over the long term cause skin atrophy (thinning of the skin), so limit their use to a one or two-week period.

But if you suffer that badly I would really recommend seeing a GP as the claw marks you would be leaving in your sleep could easily become infected. So it would be best to find something that really helps you well. (I know you can get antihistimine injections too, so this may be an option?)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
havingagiraffe said:
Beg steal or borrow an aloe vera plant, remove and slice open one of the fleshy leaves, then rub the juice from inside the leaf over the inflamed area. Job's a good un :)

Yes, it's a goodie isn't it :) I grow three different types in the house and use them too. But it doesn't cut the itch from those damned bites :(
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
andyn said:
Toddy,

If your body is releasing that much histimine you are well and truely allergic to insect bites! :( QUOTE]

My doctor said that too :rolleyes: Well, actually he said, "I've seen a few of these, but that's the best one yet." Then he prescribed two varieties of anti-histamines, something about targeting H1 and H2 :confused: because one on it's own wasn't working. Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice though.

I got bitten on my throat once while working beside a burn, and got a real fright when it started to swell up inside my throat....my heart felt like I'd got a bird trapped in my chest that time. Not funny. Thankfully I've never had the anaphylactic shock thingie, just feel utterly miserable.
The Eurax seems to work, and I'm careful with it; it lets me sleep and not scrape my skin to shreds. If it didn't I'd have no hesitation in asking my GP for help though.

I *really, really* hate clegs :(

Mugwort, melissa, bog myrtle and pine seems to help discourage them. If I don't use it I seem to get bitten more often. Meadowsweet is another one to try if you find them a pest. Either make enfleurrage or steep opening flowers in almond oil in the sunshine.

Hey Wenie, if you find that clicker thing works, let us know, will you?

Cheers,
Toddy

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
Toddy said:
Hey Wenie, if you find that clicker thing works, let us know, will you?

Cheers,
Toddy
Yup, I'll definitely let you know! Wish I had one right now - I've got an enormous bite on my ankle, and piriton and anthisan are doing nothing for the itching and swelling! :(

Thanks again for all the recommendations, everyone! :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The clicker definitely stops the itch Toddy, it numbs the area it is used in by electric shock. You click it half a dozen times or so around the bite so it stops you scratching it, but it doesn't do anything for the swelling.
I dont seem to get bothered too much by bites, I smoke, but when I do it does the trick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE