Inaudible whistling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Ok, so there I am at lunch today, sitting in my hammock, whittling away at my first attempt at a whistle made out of elder, when something unexpected happened.

I've got a rough vent cut, and a plug to direct the airflow roughly shaped and though I'd bung it together to try it out. So, I'm not a master whistle maker yet - no whistling, just the sound of air flowing through the device. Tried the plug in various positions - still no whistle. It's then that I took a break from "passing wind" and looked up...

I was surrounded by lots of small birds - mostly great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, robins x2 and what I think was a goldcrest. (must check the book later) There must have been about 20 of the little whotsits in all, all watching me from the small birch trees.

I'm guessing that the whistle is the cause, and that they can hear high notes that I can't.

I'm tempted to keep it as it is for a lure if it works again.

when you use the plug whistle,it reacts to moisture,ie the plug shrinks or expands.I many times glue the plug in place only to find it has shrunk where its dried out,next morning no whistle,very frustrating,maybe thats where the saying comes from to wet ones whistle??? :)
hazelplugwhistle.jpg
[/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE