I'm going to look at a wood...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Even if you're not planning on making money off it the odd tree you cut down provides a bit of wood for the fire and if done right helps offset heating costs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shame :sigh: but it really does sound as though someone's trying to finance their woods by selling tiny bits to other folks.

Up here there would still be access to all of the woods; would that not be the case in this situation, when you're buying part of the whole, so to speak ?

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://www.woodlands.co.uk have been doing the carving-up-a-nice-wood thing for years all over England and Wales and all I've ever heard of them or had to do with them has been an absolute no-no; they have no regard whatsoever for the common good, or for anything except profit (theirs, needless to say!), and they always keep a "ransom strip" in and around anything they ever deal with. They are very shrewd and practiced operators and nobody but them makes anything from any deal in which they are involved.............They've been active in my area for a long time and have done things that have caused shock, anger and disappointment all round.

I could say a lot of things about these and others who work in the same way, but I think it would be unwise from a legal point of view, so make what you will of the above..................

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The land is freehold with direct road access and the only covenant is for quiet enjoyment. Please specify the shock etc. Definitely no promises are made re possible development.

I didn't buy my bit from them but the point about small bits is that most woodland owners are absentee most of the time so you survey the whole wood from your plot. But, you only need a relatively small area for camping etc which the individual section can accommodate. If small is affordable then why not go for it rather than dream for ever?

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
http://www.woodlands.co.uk have been doing the carving-up-a-nice-wood thing for years all over England and Wales and all I've ever heard of them or had to do with them has been an absolute no-no; they have no regard whatsoever for the common good, or for anything except profit (theirs, needless to say!), and they always keep a "ransom strip" in and around anything they ever deal with. They are very shrewd and practiced operators and nobody but them makes anything from any deal in which they are involved.............They've been active in my area for a long time and have done things that have caused shock, anger and disappointment all round.

I could say a lot of things about these and others who work in the same way, but I think it would be unwise from a legal point of view, so make what you will of the above..................

100% behind you on that one, the strip of land they keep is access land that they can deny access at anytime they choose making your woodland worthless, very shrewd people and their woods are not cheap.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
100% behind you on that one, the strip of land they keep is access land that they can deny access at anytime they choose making your woodland worthless, very shrewd people and their woods are not cheap.

Can't say I've noticed that before but looking on their site for woodlands there's none I've spotted yet with you're own access from the road.

Plus they seem a bit keen on restrictive covenants.
This seems to be a common set of them.

Wording of the covenant (or “legal promise”) for the transfer

The purchaser hereby covenants with the vendor that the land shall not be used in such a way as to create a nuisance to the neighbouring owners (including the vendor) and specifically the purchasers shall not, and not permit others to:

do any rough or game shooting or pest control at times or in a manner constituting a nuisance or danger to any neighbour;
use the land or access tracks for any sort of racing whether with motor bikes, cars or other vehicles;
use the land for a commercial campsite;
use the land for clay pigeon shooting;
conduct any business from the land apart from forestry or agriculture;
use the land in a way which will damage the access tracks.
The purchaser and successors in title shall not erect any signboards visible from the public highway

The purchaser and successors in title shall not sell the land except as a whole specifically not in such a way that it could be registered in separate titles or in separate ownerships.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens

Surely access is one of the main things that your legal team will make sure is in place before letting you sign. Most competent solicitors or land agents are well aware of the types of issues faced with access and landlocked parcels of land. If you pay to have the reaserch done and it later turns out there is a problem. you can go back to your agent for reconpence.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
At the moment, it is clear that my budget doesn't allow me to buy a big enough plot. I would say (as others seem to agree) that at least 6 acres is needed to be able to lose yourself.

Sounds about right. Mine is broken up into a few compartments, one being about 4 acres. From the middle of that I can always see one boundary. Luckily one is mine, one is a bit of woodland not used and the other two are fields. Even so I'm trying to gap up around the boundaries with shrubs to give more privacy (not just to me but also wildlife etc).

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As for the comments on woodlotters (those that buy woodlands and split them up) like most things they have their pros and cons. Having seen some of the first woods sold without many of the covenants it's easy to see why they were brought in. They also may make small pieces of woodland available to those who could not afford it. On the other hand, know what the price for a large piece of woodland is sold for and then seeing what the woodlotters charge for small bits if only a couple of people could join together you could be able to afford a much larger piece.

That's what I would suggest, get 2 or 3 people together, look at your local estate agents and nation ones like http://www.johnclegg.co.uk/ . Then consider buying a larger piece and woodlot it yourself if you're worried about group ownership.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The plot I looked at was a sub-division of a much larger wood and it was www.woodlands.co.uk that were marketing it.

There is/was a mixture of plot sizes, some quite large (20 acres), but all of them relied on using the same access gate/track off the road. I had no problem with the covenants as they were all about not making a nuisance.

I just got interested in woods about 10 years too late; land was way cheaper then.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
£10,000 per acre seems a very high amount considering its around the back of the speedway track and near the town.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Assuming you could finance a wood and it wasn't an area out outstanding natural beauty, or had an order on it saying you couldn't develop it, how easy (or hard) would it be to star a wild camping group.

I understand camping is limited to 28 days in woods you own but what if you wanted to make that a sustainable business/hobby, I'm literally talking about wild camping and not building and homes or toilet block or out like that?

Anyone done this?

Luke

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Have checked and Woodlands.co.uk do include access in perpertuity in the deeds. So no ransom strips which they in fact claim to purchase and eradicate where necessary. Access tracks may be kept in the ownership but, again, access is guaranteed.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I understand camping is limited to 28 days in woods you own but what if you wanted to make that a sustainable business/hobby, I'm literally talking about wild camping and not building and homes or toilet block or out like that?

With or without toilet blocks you would have to go through the planning permission process. A camp site is a camp site.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There's access and there's access..............During the conveyancing process a lawyer will indeed make sure you have a legal right of access to your land, perhaps even vehicular access if you so specify; but let me present you with a scenario..........

You buy somewhere between five and six acres of what looks to be just what you wanted and is eminently suited to your needs, and you pay somewhere around the £10 k per acre mentioned above. For a year or so all is hunky dory but one day you are notified that many of the trees on one side of your plot are over-mature Corsican Pine and need to be felled or at least comprehensively thinned, and that now you have been informed of this you'll be liable for any damage caused to neighbours etc. So off you toddle and apply for a felling licence which you are granted, and you find a contractor to take 'em down for you for a very good price as long as he can have the timber he cuts, so you make a deal with him. He now wants to know how to get the kit he needs on to your ground and the timber he cuts off it, and tells you your gate and track are 7' 6" wi8de with a few sharp bends he's not going to be able to get around and can you arrange access for him, or so's he can get the timber roadside for collection.

So you embark on the adventure of finding out who owns what and how you can arrange easements in order to carry out what needs to be done..................eighteen months later you're still trying to sort it all out, having discovered that all the tiny plots that you need to go across are owned by different, unidentified, people and you find yourself in the middle of a nightmare with contacting Land Registry, solicitors etc., and having to do all the things you thought you'd bought a bit of woodland to get away from............

I know where somebody is going through exactly this scenario at the moment and it's made him a very bitter and disappointed man. The moral? If you buy from one of these parcel merchants you need to be as clever and devious as they are, and pay a good solicitor who knows this type of transaction well, which ain't gonna be cheap.................

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Have checked and Woodlands.co.uk do include access in perpertuity in the deeds. So no ransom strips which they in fact claim to purchase and eradicate where necessary. Access tracks may be kept in the ownership but, again, access is guaranteed.

And a large number of woods/fields often have access over someone else's land, track or whatever. Most of the decent bits I've seen that haven't been woodlotted have not had public road frontage. Actually direct road frontage can be a bit of a hassle as you're more public, the woodland is probably more at risk from dumping and you may have to take greater care with trees overhanging the highway.

As for the £10k/acre cost, ozzy, if you think it's too much put in an offer. If they refuse and it does sell then the price isn't too much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE