If you had no ties and money wasn’t an issue, where would you move to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Never been, but I'm loving the thought of Finland.

....not to get political but might have a bit of an issue with neighbours however..

Nov 13, 2022
Edinburgh
Playa Blanca Lanzarote..... Wonderful place, perfect temperature all year round, beautiful inland villages and superb wine.

Happy days. :)
Is the much trees and wilderness in Lanzarote? I went there as a teenager, I mostly remember it being volcanic rock and caves and stuff.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I am in Somerset already but not deep enough. I know the village I want to live in :)
Where do you want to be? Where are you now? (Ish, if you don't want to reveal your location exactly) I live in zummerzet too. Southern exmoor.
Between 15-25 miles to the nearest towns.

Last edited:

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I’ve been talking to the missus about retiring abroad. We love the outdoors, so I’d want the trifecta of being in amongst woods/forests and rivers/streams, but ideally only being an hour from a beach in one direction and mountains in another.

In the USA, with a car, your dream is certainly achievable with a budget in reach of many people. What you describe is best IMHO around SouthEast USA. Think Smokey Mountains, East coast ocean access to places like Hilton Head, and most of the SouthEast has lovely rural woods and forested areas to explore. Personally, I'm thinking Tennessee South of the Smokey Mountains, and a bit to the East. Key West Florida in a day, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. are all a one-day drive. Arkansas fits in there as well with lots of awesome hiking, lakes, etc. The Indian areas in Oklahoma are nice as well.

I was thinking Canada but I know how cold that gets. Maybe the South island of NZ? I even gave France some thought, the middle is really nice and wild.

Remaining in the EU has advantages and disadvantages. Both Canada and France have political policy issues that are a real turn off to me personally. Canada is really lovely but, it is super expensive as well.

Anyone had the same thoughts? Got any ideas for me?

A lot of the former Eastern Block countries that are part of the EU and NATO are attractive. Places like Kazakhstan can be nice if you are looking for more of an adventure.

A forum friend on another forum moved to Mongolia and bought a small property outside the main towns and is super happy. He met and married his Mongolian wife in the UK so, that certainly made his move much easier!

Affordability in the Pacific Rim countries right now makes them attractive. I am thinking about places like Indonesia and Vietnam but, taxation and 'investment visas' can make them cost prohibitive.

I lived in Germany about halfway between Munich and the Bodensee (Lake Constance) for 6 months and absolutely loved it overall. The German mindset can take some getting used too for people from other areas, not saying good or bad - just different, but it was an awesome experience overall. Germans generally area huge outdoor/nature fanatics so, if you like hiking, picnics, hanging out at parks, etc., it is a great choice.

Northern Italy, along the Pyrene Mountain areas, would be worth consideration for me. I could definitely see a holiday cabin there and a main house in Germany around Stuttgart or Munich!

Ultimately, there are a lot of awesome areas of the world to live in but, how many of us really want to move away from where we grew up and have life long friends? Then there are grandkids and other similar issues to consider.

• With retirement incomes being devalued in relative terms due to inflation, taxes, and other issues, economic migration is a real issue to consider.
  • Power costs and supply cuts are another factor along with public transportation availability and costs are worth consideration
  • Next comes food security! Yes, I am talking about general availability of affordable and healthy food options! Definitely live in an area that has local cereal grain production, fruits, and vegetables along with fish and meat sources!
  • Next comes affordable health care and related issues as you age and may need assistance with home health or nursing home care. Nursing home care in the USA generally is super expensive and various forms and levels of disgusting! Without family for multi-generational living, you are apt to be in an assisted living situation at some point in your life!
  • Lastly, political stability. This is locally as well as nationally. No matter which side you are on, national and local politics will affect your life in ways you may not like!
    • I'm not the biggest Trump fan and I personally experienced some serious dislike for him in the EU. However, aside from the political chatter and personal persona, his policies had the USA exporting oil and gas (which would be awesome for Germany and the rest of the EU right now), the economy for people working an hourly wage was good, and overall affordability for everyday things like groceries, gasoline, electricity, healthcare, etc. were reasonable for most people, even those working relatively entry level hourly jobs.
    • Under Biden, political unrest, riots, arson, and other crimes are way up. Gasoline is up ~100% and Diesel for my tractor is up ~150%. Inflation is running hot so, affordability for everyday life is becoming a challenge for large segments of society.
    • I will skip what is happing in Seattle and Portland, and mention New York City. A few years ago, you could walk the streets, shop, ride the subway, dine out, etc. without a huge fear of being attacked and killed or robbed. A few years later with a focus on Liberal and Black Lives Matter ideals, crime statistics are way up with people being pushed on subway tracks and killed, murders and severe beatings for no apparent reason are way up, and retail crime levels are high enough stores are closing and women are afraid to go home after work by themselves.
    • Ukraine is another extreme example on the 'frontier' of the EU. A few years ago, a lot people were very happy there. Now, it is a humanitarian crisis. Something like this suggests staying within the EU/NATO or USA and its allies is a wise move. China is a wildcard that may be a factor for Asia in ways we don't envision today whether it invades Taiwan or just continues with indebtedness servitude for failed infrastructure project outside its borders or its new "Silk Road" projects and "String of Pearls". With China's one child policy, an aging versus working population problem is looming. The centrally managed economy is also fraught with dangers of severe stress or outright collapse which will have drastic impacts on the Global economy but, will be felt most intensely in Asia and Africa which will lead to migration problems in the EU.
    • On a related note regarding migration, as seen on the USA's border and in various parts of the EU, uncontrolled migration has drastic impacts on taxes, housing, crime, education, public infrastructure, etc. which is a controversial topic but, one that will impact most people in the "West" at some point. And this is a valid consideration for people on both (or all) sides of the issue as there are benefits as well, especially in countries with declining birth rates. Angela Merkel was criticized for her massive influx of migrants but, look at the end result in the German economy and larger society at large!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Assuming money no object and being younger, Wyoming :), Bigger than England, population less than 1% of England. Nearly half the state is State land. Capital less than 70,000 population. Sounds like my kind of place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE