If you had no ties and money wasn’t an issue, where would you move to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Interesting thread, this. Several replies strike a chord with me. No one place ticks all the boxes. Like Billy -o in the post above, we fit into that bohemian culture bracket but also like the natural world. That's why a village just outside Oxford suits when combined with a small town on the Mediterranean within easy reach of the Pyrenees.

What many of us want seems to be the kind of flexibility that a more nomadic lifestyle brings. Of course most nomadic people don't just wander about, but live in different parts of a given territory according to season to a regular pattern. I realise that we fit that pattern by moving between two countries. It wouldn't surprise me to find that many following this thread agree with me, although the territorial range may vary.

Maybe this is the answer, actually. Have two places and move between them as you see fit.

That’s just opened up an entirely new train of thought, thanks very much.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
What many of us want seems to be the kind of flexibility that a more nomadic lifestyle brings.
Funny, I have this, sort of.

My girlfriend lives in an other part of the country than me. 4h by train + 2.5h with bus (and 1-2h waiting for the bus to arrive) to visit her or she visit me.

I work part time so on a 3 week schedule I usually get 7 days in a row free to go to visit her.

So we see about once per month for a few days. Suits me fine, we both get our share of time for our selves.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
speaking purely for myself i would be considering the fact that I am getting older. would i be able to manage? Would i be able to maintain a property, what is tghe availability of local tradesmen.what is the health service like,even if i had the money to pay for it. If i got ill would i have to move back to the UK for medical treatment. Getting older I would also not want to be isolated but rather live in a community. I would want to somwehre i could integrate ino the local community,hence would have to consider language. I would want somewhere politically stable. I would be wary of moving to a country with a lower standard of living-yes my money would go further but I would worry that I would become a target for scammers,robbers etc.
also i wouldn't want someone in my family kidnapped and held to ransom. I would feel too alone and vulnerable in 'paradise'
anyway my choice..scotland,ireland.If i was really loaded and maybe had some local connections or people i knew there then scandanavia,austria, italy,the mountaineous bits of Germany. I would be wary of moving abroad unless i had a friend or knew somebody there or had a reason to go. Purely personal but ama aware that other people may see it differently.

Malta Convoy

Nov 6, 2022
USA/South Korea
speaking purely for myself i would be considering the fact that I am getting older. would i be able to manage? Would i be able to maintain a property, what is tghe availability of local tradesmen.what is the health service like,even if i had the money to pay for it. If i got ill would i have to move back to the UK for medical treatment. Getting older I would also not want to be isolated but rather live in a community. I would want to somwehre i could integrate ino the local community,hence would have to consider language. I would want somewhere politically stable. I would be wary of moving to a country with a lower standard of living-yes my money would go further but I would worry that I would become a target for scammers,robbers etc.
also i wouldn't want someone in my family kidnapped and held to ransom. I would feel too alone and vulnerable in 'paradise'
anyway my choice..scotland,ireland.If i was really loaded and maybe had some local connections or people i knew there then scandanavia,austria, italy,the mountaineous bits of Germany. I would be wary of moving abroad unless i had a friend or knew somebody there or had a reason to go. Purely personal but ama aware that other people may see it differently.
Much wisdom, here ^

You make excellent points.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Good points and everyone should consider these subjects; we all get old, and youngsters don't believe me when I tell them how quickly the years go past. Yes, enjoy your youth and do what you can, but be aware that the next twenty years will go past much faster than the last.
The last twenty years sure did!

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Speaking of the passage of time, the internet is treacherous, it makes you feel time is slowing down, when in fact it's passing twice as fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malta Convoy
Oct 18, 2022
Ambois
Bulgaria looks a lovely country. My partner lived there and her photos are amazing. Mountains are as beautiful as any are anywhere in the world.
yes I know a few people that have got places there and love it, its cheap, people are very nice, so I will look at it soon as an option

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Idaho would be a first choice for me. Always has been a pipe dream to have something like the rocky mountain ranch.

I would much prefer run a guest house/facility kind of place.

Other than that there's a few properties in the south of Ireland that are appealing

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think I would go for hiking in Europe and stay in small towns during the winters to have a rest in a nice little hotel.

The italian corner next to Switzerland and France is surprisingly cheap in the upper valleys so I was told. If you want to be located between mountains and sea it's probably worth a look there.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Portugal for me, had it all planned and should have been there by now, with simple rural living, but they put my retirement age up, and then brexit happened so .... not sure I can be bothered with all the legal hassles now.
Second choice was Cornwall, but with all the pressures of housing and everyone moving there during covid, I'm thinking again!
Possibly southern Ireland if I was to move countries. people are lovely, love the musical nights at the pubs, scenery is wonderful..if wet!
I went to Cornwall in the holiday season. Good god! I vowed ‘never again’! How on earth to those folk who were born and live there cope from May to September???
S

Reactions: dean4442

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Went on holiday last year to Cornwall and have to agree, I appreciate the irony as I was one of the many who made it so crowded but it's just not for me. Lovely scenery etc but really can't stand the huge number of people.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I went to Cornwall in the holiday season. Good god! I vowed ‘never again’! How on earth to those folk who were born and live there cope from May to September???
S
Great innit? :). I only hope those travelling to Cornwall continue to do so, and that they don’t notice the turn offs from the A303/A30 in Somerset, where we live ;)

Selfish, moi? Heh heh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE