If you had no ties and money wasn’t an issue, where would you move to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My parents retired onto the European waterways. No land, no property, just their Dutch ‘luxemotor’ barge. They spent nearly fifteen years moving around.
My daughter was born on board on on of my ‘oliday visits…. Although not being able to string a French sentence together she’s very proud of being ‘French’:)
Me, I bought an East Anglian barley field and a derelict Victorian farm house in that week of the doom-and-gloom recession in 2008. I had no clue like so many others this recession would happen but I was there at the auction at the front, and won the bidding. Oooh-er.
So I’d say follow your dreams and irrespective, just go-for-it!
There are still places in Europe even after the debacle and stupidity of Brexit ***!
Sorry for the politics.
S

Reactions: Robbi

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I’ve been talking to the missus about retiring abroad. We love the outdoors, so I’d want the trifecta of being in amongst woods/forests and rivers/streams, but ideally only being an hour from a beach in one direction and mountains in another.

I was thinking Canada but I know how cold that gets. Maybe the South island of NZ? I even gave France some thought, the middle is really nice and wild.

Anyone had the same thoughts? Got any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.
Probably the Peak District but I’m. Moving to Sheffield soon wich is close ,so a good compromise .

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
France, either central or up north and as I'll be burying my last blood tie to NI next week, it's something that is going to happen.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm here in McBride, BC because I had years of opportunity to visit many small villages and towns across BC. Stay a week, see what they have for home-owner amenities. I picked this place because I knew some people. There's a little 6 bed serious hospital with MD and nurses. Two grocery stores.

The cost of living? Staying in the big city after I retired would have made me homeless in 12 months. Here, I can do about as I please and my food security is good and tight.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
There's a lot that's familiar to me down where I work in rural Gloucestershire but I think I'd head home to Sutherland, on the west coast.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
If we had made a different choice to stay. I would be purchasing a house in Finnish Lapland.
You like winter, do you? I mean you do know northern Lapland has only 2 months of summer? That is from end of june to the end of august.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Portugal for me, had it all planned and should have been there by now, with simple rural living, but they put my retirement age up, and then brexit happened so .... not sure I can be bothered with all the legal hassles now.
Second choice was Cornwall, but with all the pressures of housing and everyone moving there during covid, I'm thinking again!
Possibly southern Ireland if I was to move countries. people are lovely, love the musical nights at the pubs, scenery is wonderful..if wet!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Too many places to list unfortunately. I loved it in England, in Texas, in Nevada, in Alberta, in Colorado, and I love it here in Florida. Idaho is still on my bucket list as is Alaska also. following the OP's allowance that money was no object I'd likely buy two things:
1-A large RV and simply travel around North America as I pleased
and
2-a small to medium yacht and travel the world as I pleased.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I move about a bit, but I just got here, so at the moment I am quite happy in Calgary. Cold in the Winter, lovely in the Summer. Excellent skiing.

If money was no object, I'd probably own a small plane and a moderately-sized modern palace in the boho centre of a large European city. Not much fussed which one. I like opera, ballet, art museums, but also appreciate the seamier side of life. Can't really beat a large European city for the combination of all those good things.

Reactions: Nice65

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Interesting thread, this. Several replies strike a chord with me. No one place ticks all the boxes. Like Billy -o in the post above, we fit into that bohemian culture bracket but also like the natural world. That's why a village just outside Oxford suits when combined with a small town on the Mediterranean within easy reach of the Pyrenees.

What many of us want seems to be the kind of flexibility that a more nomadic lifestyle brings. Of course most nomadic people don't just wander about, but live in different parts of a given territory according to season to a regular pattern. I realise that we fit that pattern by moving between two countries. It wouldn't surprise me to find that many following this thread agree with me, although the territorial range may vary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE