Identifying Willow in Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hiya,

When it comes to identifying plants i confess i am a luddite.
I am hopeless. This is something i'd like to rectify, but i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick tip or two on identifying willow in winter.

I want to find a bit to sample the bark (a twig, not a half tree).

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Depends what sort of Willow, but to get u started Goat Willow has small diamond shaped indentations on the bark as if its been hit by a small hammer.
If memory is right, the buds are alternate, i.e. one on one side of the twig and one on the other side slightly further 1-2 cm along, so their not in pairs. I think they are light green in colour. (Got no books on me at the mo.)
Most natives are easy to tell apart in winter just using the buds and they all have individual charateristics. The leaves are a dead give away. If the tree you are trying to ID is in a group and the leaf type underneth all look the same, then u can usually match it up to a good book.

Hope that helps. :)

xylaria

Try looking in wetland pastures and beside water courses. The branches are alternate, there is never a bud on the tip the branch. The tip of the the withies are soft, there is never any thorns. The leaves are serrated around the edge.

I can't help you ID a willow safely, get a book sorry. If you eat the bark of buckthorn (rhamnus catharticus) you will die horribly, and I don't think spindle tree or bladder nut would do much good either.

collin gem guide to trees is good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Willow buds spiral around the twig. I don't think any other plants you're likely to find here do that.

Purging Buckthorn (beautiful dye :D ) lie in slightly offset pairs (one just below the other)up the stem.

cheers,
Toddy

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
Willow buds have a single scale covering the whole bud - compare this with other trees/shrubs. AFAIK all willows have this, I don't think any other species does.

xylaria

Found a link that may help, i find it helpful when I get a tree i haven't the foggiest on.

If it is any help from a distance the willows near me at this time of year are a gingery brown in the branch ends, the shade is not dissimilar to the the colour of the bannering on this website (login quick links, site blogs etc). Up close they look more green. I haven't really noticed if willows in general are this colour or just the ones near me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE