Ideas for daypack hot meal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Have a look in your ethnic supermarkets.
I've found fantastic boil in the bag ready meals for very little money.

Another option that I've used, is a bag of cous-cous, dried onions, a stock cube. (Just add hot water and put to one side to rehydrate) and chop up some chorizo/pepperami into it.
I usually make it in a crusader mug, but you could easily do it in the bag you stored the mix in.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Top stuff guys, thank you for the tips and keep them coming.

I like the idea of the ziplock bags as it feels somehow wrong to be stalking about smelling of curry and chow mein... :D

Heavens, I might even have to wash my hunting clothes if there's a spill!!:eek:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't bother putting it in water, just bung it in the mess tin and mix in a pouch of microwaveable rice. In a couple of minutes it's ready!

Yeah I've done that with Boil in Bag type meals too. But the advantage of leaving it in it's bag and using water is the ease of clean-up. There ain't any! Just eat it from the pouch and throw it away (properly of course)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Which way takes more water? Using a small amount to boil in bag? Or an amount to clean up? And you can use the (still clean) water from the BIB method to brew tea, or coffee, or make hot chocolate.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
You can buy dehydrated veggies from the supermarket. I've bought dried onions before, but when I was browsing in Morrisons the other day I found dried mixed vegetables and dried mushrooms, fairly small packets but seemed like an OK price.

I'm going to make up cous cous meals with them, which is my fairly standard meal. Cous cous, soup sachet, dried veggies, textured vegetable protein, chilli flakes, seeds and black pepper, all in a pour n store bag. Add water, leave in my cosy, done.

My other main meal is supernoodles with a sachet of tuna in my Snow Peak 450 mug.

Both great meals, easy to do, no mess or clearing out in the field, and delicious.

Desserts are angel delight with nido milk powder, or my personal favourite - 1 or 2 muffins broken up and dropped into a pour n store bag with a sachet of birds instant custard that has already been made up in the bag

Only extra ingredient is water, and only additional implement needed (bar the pot and stove) is a lhoon

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Boil in the bag.

All you need is something to heat it, you can eat it out of the bag so just a spork, and you can use the hot water for a brew.

Everyone's a winner.

Alex

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Have you thought about flameless ration heaters( no washing up) available here.
http://www.shoponthefarside.co.uk/

I can recommend the beef stew and dumplings.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I keep a box with a few Tesco 10 pence noodles and Cup A Soups in that lives in my work van.
If I forget my sarnies I just put the noodles into a cup, throw away the flavouring that comes with them and add a Cup A Soup, then add hot water from my flask.
The soup makes a far better flavouring than comes with the noodles and its still way cheaper than Pot Noodles.

I can't be done with spending most of my dinner time cooking or going to the shop.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
One of my favourites (at home or out in the green stuff) is to make a quick frittata. You can fry up some onions, tomatoes, smoked sausage, chorizo then pour your eggy mix over the top. For a real treat, make some quick noodles, plop them on top before while the egg is still liquid and finish off with a sachet of sweet chilli sauce.

It's a great warmer-upper for a day hike (although not as practical if you're out for a few days unless you happen upon some local shops).

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
One of my favourites (at home or out in the green stuff) is to make a quick frittata. You can fry up some onions, tomatoes, smoked sausage, chorizo then pour your eggy mix over the top. For a real treat, make some quick noodles, plop them on top before while the egg is still liquid and finish off with a sachet of sweet chilli sauce.

It's a great warmer-upper for a day hike (although not as practical if you're out for a few days unless you happen upon some local shops).

Inspired sir! :D :cool:

Thank you for the suggestions ladies and gents, there are things here I would have never considered left to my own devices.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Yes to the 'poptarts', i.e apple pies, but they don't stay warm all day. They arrive hotter than hell and cool down gently, but without a cosy they wouldn't make it through. If I have one they wouldn't last that long anyway

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
rik_uk3 "you could empty the can in a ziploc bag if your averse to taking a tin with you."

either you are a genius or i've been dim all my life, i cannot believe this had never occurred to me, thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE