I'd like to know more about trees.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Specifically knowing how to use wood for carving, firewood and shelters without damaging the forest.

Are there any articles online where I can learn these sorts of things? Like when to take wood and when not to, how I can give something back for taking wood, which trees to take wood from and which not to.

Thanks for any help,
Asa.

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion, I am just wondering how to take wood without damaging the trees/woodland.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Quite a lot of the native wood I use is what has come down in the wind, the woodland I go to often has a lot of fallen limbs from trees and sometime whole trees that have been felled by the wind. If they have only been blown over then they can still grow with the remaining roots that are still in the ground but if they have snapped off obviously there is some good timber waiting to be used. My kitchen units have doors and drawer fronts made from ash surround with oak panel in a shaker style from trees that came down in a storm about 4 years ago

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Specifically knowing how to use wood for carving, firewood and shelters without damaging the forest.

Are there any articles online where I can learn these sorts of things? Like when to take wood and when not to, how I can give something back for taking wood, which trees to take wood from and which not to.

Thanks for any help,
Asa.

That's quite a broad brush stroke of a question Asa. I'd suggest breaking down individual needs. IE what's the best wood for carving......Lime, Holly,Yew amongst others, are you cooking with those carved objects? Are they for utensil? What utensil?..........Firewood ........ash is good (what do you want to do).......cook....warmth.....all night fire....Shelter, what sort of shelter? do you need poles? how thick?.
Generally though, gather broadly and don't slaughter a lone tree.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Most English woodlands are managed in one way or another and have management plans designed to optimise them for various purposes, timber production, conservation or amenity value (nice place for folks to go walk) are the most common.

Every woodland is producing extra timber all the time and can withstand significant harvesting without "damaging" or needing to "give something back".

Deciding which trees to cut and when and knowing that you are not causing damage needs first a thorough understanding of the particular wood. I would suggest Oliver Rackham's trees and woodland in the British landscape as being a good starter. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodland-Br...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254591565&sr=8-2

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the only real safe thing to do with living trees is to cut coppice, hazel and sweet chestnut are very commonly coppiced and you can take the odd sneaky pole without worry of any impact on the environment.

also many fallen but live trees from vigorous species such as willows, sweet chestnut and poplars produce suckers all along the stem. these can be cut in the same way as coppice without doing much harm as long as you only take a few from many trees rather than striping a whole tree. also when harvesting this type of timber make sure you prune the suckers off close to the trunk without leaving stubs or cutting them too flush. both of these bad practices can lead to fungal attack. if pruned correctly the tree can grow over the wound to protect itself.

species such as oak and sweet chestnut take a long time to rot, especially the heart wood. often old fallen trees are still perfectly solid with the very hard durable heart wood still preserved.

if you take whole trees (obviously you need permission!) the best way to put something back is to plant several trees (at least five is sensible) for every tree you fell. three year old bare root trees are very cheep (in bulk its usually under a quid per tree) and a tree guards (essential) are also very cheep.

with some species such as willow you can stick wasted branches in the ground and they may root and become new trees.

you could help out with your local volunteer conservation group which is not only putting something back but you will almost certainly be able to obtain wood and other products through waste (often trees are felled if they are causing hazards such as dead trees overhanging footpaths). also you will learn new skills and broaden your knowledge.

or if your lucky enough to know a tree surgeon like me we can usually sort you out :D

pete

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Sorry, I didn't explain it very well, I am just wanting to know how to take wood without damaging a tree or the forest. :eek:

No worries Asa. Then I'd say learn your woods and know what certain woods are good for.
You simply can't expect a difinitive answer. It's just too diverse. Take the odd shoot from a willow or hazel.........Harvest responsibly.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Here is a link to the ANSI standards for tree pruning. They are based on Alex Shigo's research, as mentioned by "huntsmanbob" above.

web1.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/.../SFPruningStds52506.doc

Just copy this and paste it into your web browser google tool bar. If your computer cant open this document because you dont have Microsoft Office, just download OpenOffice. it is free, looks like Office, works like Office and is compatible with Office. There is no catch and it is from a reputable company. Sun Microsystems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE