I want to start leather working

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Probably get away with Stanley knife , needle pliers , sharpened nail to act as an awl , Table Vice with soft jaws if you can , Sinew ( artificial ).

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It depends on what you want to do. You can make a lot of utilitarian leather articles without stitching a stitch - using a punch and leather rivets you can make axe masks, knife sheaths, belts .....

If you want to stitch, I advise not going down the awl route at all - it's frustrating and, occasionally, painful. Buy a set of 3mm stitching prongs from ebay (the Chinese ones are great), some leather stitching needles (very cheap) and some synthetic thread - you can always progress on to other tools and materials later. You can buy small amounts of 2mm and 3mm veg tanned leather but it works out a bit pricey - £10/sq ft mark - buying a shoulder will be half that but it depends on how much you want to do.

If you want one cheap book that shows you lots of techniques I recommend this one:

Reactions: Mr Wolf

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
See the 'Gift it On' thread - leather for free :) (if you have something to gift on yourself).

Look at you go!! You're like some kind of bushcrafty match maker - joining random souls together in the abyss of the internet. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE