I want to learn flintknapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eddieb

Jan 17, 2014
Essex
So as the title says I would like to learn how to flintknap, I literally know nothing about it. So can anyone give me and other beginners a push in the right direction, tips,the process,book now vids and even what equipment I/we would need?
All help appreciated :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I agree with Mesquite. You'd get a good grounding in it if you get on a course for a day or two. I've dabbled once or twice and it is much harder than it looks.

There's numerous videos on youtube though so spend a bit of time watching those and I'm sure you'd pick up the basics.

I don't know the geology of Essex but you find Flint in nodules in chalk.

As for tools - well you can go modern or stone age. Ie use copper hammers and points or antler hammers and points. I know they can be purchased online but I can't think where just now.

By far the best advice I can give is to wear safety glasses. Flint shards are super sharp, and they would do real damage if you got a piece in your eye. Gloves would be a good idea too. ;)

All the best
Andy

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
So as the title says I would like to learn how to flintknap, I literally know nothing about it. So can anyone give me and other beginners a push in the right direction, tips,the process,book now vids and even what equipment I/we would need?
All help appreciated :)

Your not the only one that would like to learn flint knapping. The trouble for me is I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to start learning a new skill. Good luck with your new adventure.:)

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
never to old mate, and being in Ipswich Will Lord is just down the road from you in Bury St Edmunds. I cannot recommend him highly enough, having travelled from Kent to his place for lessons in the past. Do it....

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
never to old mate, and being in Ipswich Will Lord is just down the road from you in Bury St Edmunds. I cannot recommend him highly enough, having travelled from Kent to his place for lessons in the past. Do it....

I don't think my joints could take all that knapping. I had to take a pain killer the other day when using my Atlatl.:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't think my joints could take all that knapping. I had to take a pain killer the other day when using my Atlatl.:D

Its not hard on the joints - or at least I didn't find it so. Me and the wife spent a day with John Lord who really is "the daddy" of flint knapping - he's in Kings Lynn - absolutely awesome day - can't recommend him highly enough

http://www.flintknapping.co.uk/where.html

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Same price however many of you go. My wife and I shared a day - John even took us to the pub and Val made us fantastic scones. How many times do you get to spend a day with the worlds leading expert and have one to one tuition for that price?

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Same price however many of you go. My wife and I shared a day - John even took us to the pub and Val made us fantastic scones. How many times do you get to spend a day with the worlds leading expert and have one to one tuition for that price?

You have sparked something in me to give it a go.:) Do you get to keep the things you have made?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Uhuh. John and Val were fab. I explained to John that I am an axe lover and he quickly knapped me that axe head - I still have it :)

You should see the size of the nodule it came from

JL large flint by British Red, on Flickr

I may go see him again just to hang out - the man is a legend - you wont forget that day I promise

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In my opinion (as I told him :)) Johns beard is both too short and too neat. It is de rigeur to out scruff him!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE